What's new

coax vs. obtical (1 Viewer)

Steve_SSS

Auditioning
Hello, as some may know, i have recently purchased the rp56 which only supports obtical. Does anyone know if there is a difference between obtical and coax in terms of quality

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Geeez, Steve, that's one of THOSE questions.

Just do a search on coax vs optical and you'll find tons of stuff (arguments).

It seems the majority agress, though, that coax sounds slightly better

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steve, this question has been asked here many times before, so do a search. My own feeling is that there is no inherent difference in sound quality between the two cable types My feeling is that if differences are perceived, the differences could lie in the particular cables used for comparison (i.e., a disparity in relative quality between the two cables used in the comparison) and should not be attributed to the connection type on the whole. Some will certainly disagree with me. That said, I prefer to use coaxial digital cables because they are more robust than optical digital cables.

Audiophiles often say that coaxial digital cables sound better than optical digital cables. I suspect that is the reason why many higher-end components only offer a coaxial digital output. Some higher-end components offer both, but you rarely will find a higher-end component that only offers an optical digital output. Still, I don't think there is a real difference between the sound quality of the two connection types. I have used optical digital cables in the past with excellent results.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, gee whiz! You should be able to change the font size in edit mode.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've tried both and could not tell the difference. I stayed with coax and used the optical cable for my CD player (which only has an optical output -- no digital coax).

Chip E

Screenwriter
I use coax because it's more robust as Keith says.. I use TosLink for my Dish 6000 high def. receiver because that's all it offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks