What's new

Coax Cable (1 Viewer)

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
Hi
Is there a way to test a cable if it is coax or RCA? I bought this one pair see-thru cable after the salesman told me that it is a coax cable, but I have my doubts. How can you test it?

Stelios

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Almost all "RCA" cables are made with coax.

Look at the wire. Is it round and about as thick or thicker than your CATV coax? If so, it is likely coaxial-construction.

If the wire has 2 thin wires like Walkman Headphone wires, these are not likely coaxial. You can find cheap "Patch Cords" at the hardware store with RCA plugs that are like this.

You said it was "see through" - that is very unusual for a RCA cable. Can you see a thick 'pipe' made of mesh under the transparent case? If so - the cable is likely coaxial.

Note: a coaxial cable is really 2 wires: one is the center conductor, the other wire is a 'pipe' usually made of mesh or foil (or both) that encases the center wire. This is called the "shield". There is a white-foam that surrounds the center wire and keeps the shield at a fixed distance from the center wire.

Stelios

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bob for the info.
I did check and it is in fact an RCA cable.This confirms the fact that you must not always trust a "salesman".

Happy New Year
Stelios

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks