What's new

Coach suspended for running up the score (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

And if they did this in the NFL, Spurrier would be the one crying bad sportsmanship because his teams consistently got spanked.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
You know...I think Bill Maher is right. America has been feminized.

55-0? What? Did they really expect the coach to half-ass the game to make the other team feel better? Those kids and the coach deserved it, honestly.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think some folks do. I know several coaches in the NCAA have backed down their team and put in 3rd/4th stringers and the game kept getting out of hand. Of course the media lambasted them for it being the unbiased folks they are :rolleyes

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Sports are not all peachy keen. Sometimes you get humiliated and the good coach is supposed to help you learn from that. In high school we were better than most teams and our coach always made us hold back in the 2nd half.
They never made it that far.
However, the state champs most years used to beat the crap out of us in certain sports. We dealt with it.
Everyone cannot win or it would not matter.

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
I think it is total crap that the coach got suspeneded. You are taught as player to give it your all. You do not stand there with the bat on your shoulder, you do not intentionally make errors in the field. I believe these two acts are more unsportsman than continuing to play. Granted, if the coach had his players stealing bases, bunting people over, etc.., then that is unsportsman. The team did have 43 hits, but who knows how many walks the pitcher gave up and how many errors were committed.

In my Tuesday night softball league, in the first two innings, the other team got 2 hits and we had 2 errors, but they scored 16 runs. The reason WALKS. Our pitcher(s) walked 12-14 batters in those two innings.

All I have to say to the losing team, get some talent and quit your bitching.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, you need a better pitcher! :)

When I pitched in softball, it would irk me to no end to walk people, and my teammates hated them too. Good thing for me, I was better at giving up hits than walking a lot of batters. Heh. Now, we had another guy who could only pitch due to his lack of mobility (portly guy), so I'd go play another position (I can play pretty much any of the infield positions, but not crazy about the outfield), and let the guy pitch, but I'd always have to relieve him because he simply did not understand where to throw the ball for it to be called a strike, and he'd also walk countless batters because the other team knew he couldn't throw a called strike to save his life. I actually struck a few people out looking in slow-pitch softball, now that's a great feeling for a pitcher.

But I've been the losing pitcher, giving up lots of runs, mainly because my defense wasn't as good as it could be, and the innings got extended longer than they should have, but those are the lumps you take in sports. The game's over after an hour, and that's it. No one was really hurt, maybe wounded pride was on display, but it didn't have an overall negative impact on our lives, plus it made for some funny stories of how badly we f'd up in the field in some games, and when we pulled off a great play, that was also a nice memory to have.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I have coached Rec League soccer for the past 4 years and I got yelled at for running up the score - something like 16 - 0.
The thing is I played all 15 players and I even moved people around to other positions. I think 8-9 different people scored a goal or two in the game.
I asked the president of the league what he recommended I due if this situation happened again. He said make them pass the ball around more - Let's see that would be keep away from the other team and make them look even worse off if you ask me.
Easiest thing to due I think is end the game early.

Chad

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Obviously the losing team isn't willing to throw in the towel, so they get what they deserve if they face a vastly superior team.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
How old are the kids Chad? When I used to play soccer and we were up by 4 or 5 goals, the coach used to enforce a 3 touch rule on us. Settle, set-up, pass/shoot. It was a great way to practice moving the ball around and still lessen scoring chances (completing a pass becomes much more difficult). Unless you have a bunch of Pelés on your team, then the score will get even worst.

And I was watching an old movie last night, this quote from it seems fitting:

ChadLB

Screenwriter
They were 13-14 year olds. Settle, set-up, pass/shoot still is almost like playing keep away and I think that is just as bad as running up the score.
Like I told the head guy I was giving my other players an opportunity to play a position they don't normally play. The score meant nothing to me.
Last year I actually quit coaching due to all the new crappy rules, etc they have. I felt like I was baby sitting and not coaching. I even told the head people that when I called them. I said -"Coaching was fun but not with all this BS"

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
This is the ultimate reality of what happens in real life as your business competition won't put in a second or third string to keep from embarassing you any further. I think if situation like this is so out of hand then rules should be implemented for crybaby losers who don't want to admit that they played a better overall team that might of been in the zone that night. I believe in mercy rules just because just as much as a team doesn't want it's ass handed to them on a silver plate a good team really doesn't want to waste it's time on a pathetic team either. Part of we play is for victory but the other is wanting to play a competition that's worthy to compete against.:emoji_thumbsup:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Quite true. I've seen this in English pro-football, where a totally dominant team already 4-up starts playing keep-ball late in the second half, stringing 20-30 passes and the losing side doesn't get a sniff of the ball, and only breaks the string with a lunging tackle, which is promptly called as a foul so they don't win possession anyway. It's great fun for supporters of the winning team, who are cheering "ole" with each pass, but probably pretty humiliating for the losers.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Our soccer coach only allowed bicycles and one touch volleys when far ahead. We usually were trying to get the goalie/forward and defense to offense converts some goals.
It is true that blow-outs stink for everyone. No competition, no real sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks