Coach suspended for running up the score

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The losing team should have their uniforms repossessed or revoked. What's a coach supposed to do?

Mort

3. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

Hey congratulations you won thats great. Now go home and think about what you did, Bad Coach.........Bad Bad Bad.

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Let me get this straight....the scoring stopped after the second inning? Total lack of consistency [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, very bad sportsmanship.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Ummmm.......Okay. [​IMG]

6. BrettB

BrettB Producer

If they're gonna have teams that suck that incredibly badly then they need to look at tweaking the rules involving embarrassing blowouts.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Eh, bad sportsmanship? I don't quite get it. Sure, I can understand the idea that if your team is so overwhelmingly superior, you're not quite supposed to rub your opponents' face in it, but that seems to have been addressed by the rule that stops the game if the team is 10-up after 5 innings. But if the opponents are so bad that they're 55 down after just two, what do you really expect the coach to do? Tell his team to "go easy" on the other side? I'd argue that that is also "bad sportsmanship", taking pity on the other side. If the league was so obsessed with this idea of not hurting the feelings of the losers, which is the only rationale for the rule, they should've added some discretion to the umpire to in effect declare a "knock-out" and stop the game if it was blindingly obvious one team was so far superior.

Having said that, although 55-0 is rather extreme, I've seen several professional English football games where a team 3-0 up at half time goes on to lose 4-3 or 5-3. Granted, a 3-0 lead in footbal isn't the same as 55-0 up in 2 innings -- I'd say maybe 12-0 would be the equivalent -- but the point is you never know if the losers might hit back. In my own experience in school and college sports, I recall one year my university hostel was very strong in girls' basketball, with our team having several of the varsity players. They were playing an opponent that was so weak that they were unable to score in the first half at all. Mid-way in the second half, they actually made a basket, and our fans actually cheered them as they did it. Final score was indeed something-two. And back in high school, I remember watching my school thump another school 142-0 in rugby, the other school being first-timers in rugby competition.

West Charlotte's sporting director says it was the worst display of sportsmanship he's seen in 20 years. I agree -- by West Charlotte. If your team is SOOOO bad it cannot hold its own and lose by a "decent" margin, it has no business playing at that level. You can't expect stronger teams to play below their abilities just to make you look good.

8. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

They should suspend the losing coach for not changing pitchers.

They scored 55 runs on 43 hits? I wonder how many errors those losers had.

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Perhaps it's the RULE that needs to be changed? If followed to the letter of the law, then the game can only be stopped after five complete innings. What's a coach supposed to tell his team which scored 30 runs in the first inning? Okay, everyone put your bats down on your shoulders and don't do a thing at the plate from now on...to me that's even more unsportsmanlike than running up the score. "Look you suck so bad we'll just stand here the rest of the game and do nothing..."

The refs should be able to call the game earlier in an imminent blowout, especially after a 30 run first.

And actually the coach must have told them to stop after the second inning since the scoring stopped. Apparently the coach has history, hence why he's suspended, but still, the rule should be changed so that blowouts like that are ended earlier.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

In adult softball leagues, I've played in games where we got pummelled by 20-25 runs, but you play the game, and then go home. There was no wailing about it, there was no sanctions placed on the other team for having superior hitters and fielders. You can only ask your players to play the best they can play, and let the game unfold.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    That's painful, but it's a pittance compared to being desroyed by a 200 run lead, as could have happened if this played out.

I don't know the best solution. But is it worse to go easy than to totally destroy the other team? Either way, the opposition is humiliated. Better to just end it early?

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

If they scored that many in the first two innings, I have no idea what the coach is supposed to do. I find it more offensive if he were to suggest to any team member that they not play to their full potential (ie, have them throw an at bat) then I do that he lets them hit.

It is the duty of the coach to let the kids play up to their talent level.. I see the "stop the game after 5" that's fine.. they do the same thing in 8 man football in KS (if a team is up by 45 points or more at half, game ends) and I've seen teams go into half time up 80-0. That doesn't mean the coach ran it up, he has no other kids to plug into the game.. he lets them play at their talent level.. what should he do? "Hey, we don't want to hurt the other teams feelings.. can you intentionally throw an interception?"

Same here. In order for this to not happen, the coach would basically have to say to his kids "go up and intentionally strike out" that's not right either.

This seems too much about protecting feelings then playing the game. If the other team is that bad, and they know they are getting pummelled, their coach should just forfeit.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just to clarify, my adult softball league games were an hour long (per league schedule where 4 games were played per night), so if we actually played 5 innings, I shudder to think how badly we'd have lost. Most of those blow-outs never got past 3 innings.

14. Brad_Harper

Brad_Harper Stunt Coordinator

Whatever happened to having A, B, C, D leagues? That way kids of equal talent can play against each other. Either the team that won belongs in a higher league or the losing team belongs in a lower league.
    If there is only one league then maybe they should let the truely exceptional player play in an older league. Not to toot my own horn but this happened to me playing hockey. I scored probably 5 to 6 goals a game and we won every game by blowouts so they bumped me up to play with the older kids.
    Suspending the coach is just stupid. The league organizers should be ashamed for having two teams of such different skill levels playing each other.

15. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just read the starting lineup for Central Cabarrus:

-Alex Rodriguez
    -Vlad Guerrero
    -Manny Ramirez
    -Derek Jeter
    -Carlos Beltran
    -Barry Bonds
    etc....
    [​IMG]

16. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

In my area, they don't have the different leagues based on a skill level in high school. There's a public school league and a catholic school league, and that's it. The various rec centers do have different leagues as well, but they're more for younger kids.

We do have Varsity, JV, & Freshmen leagues, but if this was the Varsity teams, then you can't fault them.

The idea behind the leagues is so there are no blowouts like this, but I guess the idea is that if you're still playing sports when you're 13-18 yrs old, you should be good enough to play with everyone.

Then of course there is the college level where they break it back down to divisions.

17. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

55 runs? Phshaw! There was a game here my senior year in high school where one team beat the other 72-0 in 5 innings. As far as I can remember, nothing happened to the coach of the winning team.

18. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It's completely crappy to suspend the coach of the winning team. The umpire should've called the game early if approved by both coaches, or the losing team should've forfeited.

19. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If they did this in the college ranks, Steve Spurrier would be suspended for a lifetime [​IMG]

20. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I would only blame the coach if he refused to pull his starters and let the second stringers play. It appears that might have happened since no runs were scored after the second inning, or the players might have pulled back some after realizing the opposition was only getting worse as the game progressed..

Still, I feel it is wrong to ask any player to give less than their best, and the coach that should be questioned is from the losing school who had his players thoroughly unprepared (and probably poorly coached as well).

J