What's new

"Clipped Display" on new Alien DVD (1 Viewer)

DaveSp

Agent
Wasn't sure on which forum to post this - apologies up front if this isn't the right place.

I bought the new Alien boxed set for play on my Toshiba 51HD83 rear projection set connected to a Samsung HD931 DVD player by DVI. Looking at the opening credits, I noticed that the sides of the picture are clipped - the "A" and the "N" in the morphing "Alien" title are both only half displayed, the outside half being cut off. I do have the player and TV set set to 1080i and the player for a wide screen. The Picture Size menu on the TV is not available when using DVI input. I looked at it on my old 27" TV (in letterbox format) and the entire title is fully and correctly displayed. Anyone else see something similar or have any thoughts on what's going on?

Thanks,
Dave

John S

Senior HTF Member
What does it look like in 480p???? Using the same equipment and connections? I mean is it a DVI issue, or some of screen format issue? Hard to say without some troubleshooting. I am very week on DVI. But have been playing with component video some with others systems, attempting to get ready for my own intro to component video soon.

There is a lot going on there....

I mean it could be an upscaling issue, a DVI interface issue, or a screen formatting issue.

What have you tried so far to narrow it down some?

As I am sure you already know you will need to narrow it down more than just going back to NTSC with it.

I'll be very curious as to what you find too, and the suggestions of others. My upgrade to HDTV is happening very soon, and I see a fair amount of upconverting in my future....

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dave, looks like you have a lot of overscan on your monitor. Do you have a calibration disc so that you can determine how much overscan you're dealing with?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you have the player set to 16:9 or 4:3 and what about zoom modes on the TV and player?

HanLee

Grip
Kind of off topic, but I have sort of the same issue with the THX intro logo on DVD's. When the THX intro logo with the blue border and "writing" appear, the right border is clipped off, but the words aren't. It seems that Dave is getting both sides clipped? Mine seems to be just the right side, it almost seems like the image is shifted to the right.

Dave have you noticed any of these problems on the THX intro logo stuff or other DVDs?

I'm also using a Samsung HD-931 with DVI out (1080i upscale) to a Panasonic 47wx53.

I've been lazy to try the other output modes on the dvd player to see if it's the player or the TV thats doing it. Probably get around to doing that come around winter break.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Most sets are setup differently in each mode, your set in 1080i apparently has excessive overscan, so 480p may be better on that set.

DaveSp

Agent
TV is set to 16:9. No zoom on the DVD player. The clipping is not large, just enough to cut the two end letters in half. On my 27" in letterbox mode, the outside letters are right at the display edges but are fully displayed.

I'm not familiar with overscan so I'll do a search on it. Sounds like a technician-level calibration issue though. I do have the latest Video Essentials disk but I don't recall seeing any refernces to overscan.

Dave

DaveSp

Agent
OK - I did a search on overscan and learned. I used my Video Essentials disk and it appears to be about 5% at the sides. What is "typical"? From what I read, 3-5% is about right. Like I said, the title lettering is right at the edges on my non-widescreen tv so this example is probably about as obvious as any you'd notice.

Thanks,
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks