What's new

Classical Music Introductions needed (1 Viewer)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Well, Mal, since you mention Chesky... one of my favorites from their release list is:

ROMAN FESTIVALS/FOUNTAINS OF ROME/PINES OF ROME

by Respighi

Ottorino Respighi

Roman Festivals

New Philharmonia Orchestra

Massimo Freccia, conductor

Fountains of Rome

New Philharmonia Orchestra

Massimo Freccia, conductor

Pines of Rome

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Rudolf Kempe, conductor

These Respighi scores aren't timeless masterpieces but they are VERY entertaining and beautifully recorded.

The CLASSIC performance here, however, is Massimo Freccia's version of "Roman Festivals." It's absolutely hair-raising. The composition itself is over the top and Freccia's performance goes brilliantly over the top with it.

The Chesky catalog has a lot of great performances in it from the old Reader's Digest recordings catalog, including such greats as conductor Jascha Horenstein's "Flying Dutchman" Overture, the Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos with Horenstein and pianist Earl Wild, a very nice Franck orchestral music with a lovely performance of the Symphonic Variations with Wild and Freccia and on and on....

Stefan A

Second Unit
If you are starting a classical collection or you want to develope an appreciation for classical music, you must have:

A Bach Brandenberg Concerto (1-6) - I like 2 or 3.

*Vivaldi's Four Seasons

Handel's Messiah

*A Mozart Symphony - 25,40 are good

Disc of Mozart opera overtures

A Mozart Piano Concerto

A Hayden Symphony - "The Surprise Symphony" is popular.

*Beethoven 5

Beethoven's Emporor Concerto

Schubert Symphony #9

Schumann Symphony #3

A Brahms Symphony - perhaps 1 or 2

*Disc of Wagner opera overtures

*Berlioz - Symphony Fantastique

Mendelsoln (sp?) - Violin Concerto

Tchaikovsky Symphony 4,5, or 6

*Tchaik -Nutcracker Suite (or Ballet)

Mahler's 5th Symphony

Bruckner's 4th Symphony (not basic rep, but pretty cool)

Mousorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition - orchestral version, Ravel's Arrangement

Richard Strauss - Til Eilenspiegel or Don Juan.

*Stravinsky's Rite of Spring

Ravel - Bolero

Schoenberg - Perrot Luner (sp?) - not basic but you should hear this style of writting

Prokofiev - Lt. Kiji or Alexander Nevsky

*Shostokovich - Symphony #5

Elgar - Enigma Variation and Pomp and Circumstance Marches

Maybe a Verdi opera excerpt disc

I could go through much more, but this should get you started. * items should get you started if you can't get it all right away. I feel those are the most basic. Obviously, this is bent toward my preferences, but I tried to pick the most popular pieces.

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
wow! got me a good list it looks like....keep the suggestions coming..you guys have been a big hel. I'll post later my thoughts on the recordings i have purchased

Mark Lee

Second Unit
The annoying spellchecking fairy flits in:
It's Haydn (no "e")
Mendelssohn.
Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique
Moussorgsky (or more commonly spelled "Mussorgsky")
Strauss' (remember, it's Richard, not that waltz-playing Johann) Till Eulenspiegel, or more completely, Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche
Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire (and I agree that this piece is certainly not "basic repertory" -- can't remember the last time I saw it being performed live -- but the style is certainly very unique. Not for the casual listener.)
And as for the Russians, Prokofiev's Lt. Kije (if you have Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles album, he nicks a theme from it for his song "Russians"), and Shostakovich.
(I told you the fairy was annoying....;) )
Good list overall, tho. I like the Mahler and Bruckner choices, especially. What, no Chopin? No Aaron Copland? No Liszt? :) (I realize any "best of" list necessarily distills out any number of possible inclusions; just my chance to stump for my faves....)

Stefan A

Second Unit
Mr. Spellchecking Fairy,
Thanks for the corrections. I suppose I could have done it right but I was just typing off the top of my head - and I am not a good speller of names and such. I guess for someone who would actually buy these, they would need correct spellings.
As far as the 3 composers mentioned, your right, a piece should be chosen by them. But, Chopin and Liszt are not composers I feel qualified to make statements about the most popular rep. For Copland, I would say "Rodeo"
In about a month, I get to hear Rachmoninoff 2nd piano concerto and Shostokovich's 5th Symphony live with the St. Petersburg Philharmonic and Yuri Temerkonov here in Baltimore. Should be a lot of fun.
(and I know there are a few spelling errors here :))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks