What's new

Classical Music and movie soundtracks.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Ever wonder if todays movie scorers take a little tune from classical music and mold it into something new?

I hear this song on XM every now and then, Borelo, by Maurice Ravel. There's one tiny part in there that reminds me of something...and I think it's the 'Arena' TOS fight.

Can anyone name some other tunes that sound like classical music done by the 'masters'?

Charlie Brown shows and Schroeder doesn't count :).

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Gustav Holst's "The Planets" has provided "inspiration" for some movie scores, including Gladiator.

I can't put my finger on it right now, but "The Immolation Scene" from Revenge of the Sith is extremely similar to a piece I know...Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6, perhaps? I'll have to dig around.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
That scene at the end of Glory where the guys are trying to take the fort has music that sounds like that ever popular piece of from Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana".

I always thought the bit of music at the end of Batman where we see Batman with the bat signal in the sky behind him sounded like Strauss' "Also sprach Zarathustra" (you know, the 2001 theme).

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
As you can imagine, this is one of those topics that always pops up in film score discussions. A couple of filmscoremonthly writers had a podcast with cues to compare. I think the podcast is fairly even handed, even though it comes heavily at the expense of--who else?--James Horner.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/fsmpod...odcast_017.mp3

Regarding those mentioned so far, Borelo was "used" heavily in the opening of Femme Fatale. Kurosawa's Rashomon also has one cue in a similar vein. Glory's main theme has long been accused of using one of the small motifs in Prokofiev's Ivan the Terrible, which of course was a film score to begin with. Alex North's original opening cue for 2001 of course was similar to Also Sprach Zarathustra, directly tailoring his score to Kubrick's intent. But then Kubrick threw out North's score, using the temp instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks