What's new

Official HTF Western Appreciation Thread (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, if you're interested in participating in this "Western Challenge" during the month of March, below is a direct link to the thread in which participants can post their movie/TV show opinions. Anyone is welcome and the Challenge rules are listed in the first post in that linked thread below. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Finished this 8-episode series on Paramount+ based on a historical figure with an impressive career. Serious and classic epic Western TV. Strong performances throughout, including by star David Oyelowo, as well as Dennis Quaid, Lauren Banks, Donald Sutherland, and many others. My rating: A-.

(Is this thread okay for a continuing watching of Westerns, old and new, or are we going to switch to a different thread.)

bass reeves.jpeg

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Right now what I have lined up for Westerns are:

Goin' South - Jack Nicholson's comedy Western has a brand new Blu from Cinematographe (available through Vinegar Syndrome) that arrived in my mailbox a little while ago but have not watched it yet. Probably today! Nicholson stars and directs with a nice group of actors filling out the cast. Basically, I liked this film when I saw it as a kid, and one of the things that stood out for me was John Belushi was in it and I loved him. I suspect a lot of drugs were being consumed during the making of this film by almost everyone involved. I look forward to watching this new disc to see how it looks in this new transfer. In truth, it has been so long since I have seen this I can't remember anything about the story or plot outside of Mary Steenburgen's character somehow buys/marries Nicholson's character to use him as labor around her ranch through an odd town bylaw that allows women in the town to claim men that have been arrested and are scheduled to be hung...I think. I think the catch for Nicholson is if he tries to get out of the agreement, they will hang him. It's kind of like a Seinfeld plot before Seinfeld existed.

Mackenna's Gold - I have the German Blu of this picture. Gregory Peck is the lead with a big all-star cast surrounding him. I saw something recently about Mr. Peck and got a hankering to watch some of his films, including this, which is built like a big epic Western that no expense was spared on, but I don't think was well received at the time...or maybe is not now either. I have a soft spot for it and enjoy watching it because it seems so much went into making it.

The Ranown Westerns - This is the Randolph Scott/Budd Boetticher collection from Criterion. I bought the set, have not gone through them all yet. I love these films so this will be fun.

Cimarron Strip - This is a TV series with Stuart Whitman in the lead. A beautifully mounted show where the episodes are kind of like mini-movies. I love this series but I don't ever see it mentioned much. I believe the series set I have has now gone out of print. Check this series out if you are looking for a TV Western, I think they really put the money into this show and Whitman is great in it. Very entertaining. The DVD transfer is not the best by any stretch which is too bad because the show looks great and this would probably be tremendous on Blu but not sure anybody would put the money into it. I should check to see if this is streaming anywhere.

F Troop - I also have the complete series set of F Troop I am making my way through. These look very nice on DVD. Just a goofy comedy Western series that now would be seen as inappropriate in so many ways. Only for those of us old enough to actually have been born with tolerance and a sense of humor.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1712452008333.png

The Arrow Blu-ray appears to be region-free because I didn't have to change the region on my Oppo 203. It's one gorgeous looking Blu-ray. It has three different audio options 5.1, 2.0 and Mono besides the audio commentary. The iTunes HD digital offers an impressive picture, but I think the detail was even more enhanced on the Blu-ray as the VistaVision black and white cinematography really stood out on my 65" OLED. This Antony Mann western is probably my second favorite western he directed after Winchester '73. Just an outstanding cast with a great screenplay that was Oscar nominated. The story is simple about an inexperienced young sheriff being taken under the wing by a former lawman turned bounty hunter. A racist town bully that isn't as tough as he seems along with the killing of a beloved town doctor that incites a law-abiding community to turn to vigilante violence is done quite well in this great western. The only quibble I have about this Blu-ray is the audio commentary. I usually enjoy Toby Roan's commentaries, but I think on this Blu-ray, he spends too much time talking about other Mann westerns instead of sharing his insights about The Tin Star. Other than that, I highly recommend this Blu-ray release which is scheduled for release in the States on April 30th. I got mine early because I pre-ordered mine from DiabolikDVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1712556251053.png

A typical 1950's western that I grew up watching on TV back in the day. There is some dispute whether this was an actual CinemaScope film. Furthermore, this 1954 western was supposed to be filmed in 3-D but was never shown as such in the movie theaters. Anyhow, a young army doctor is put in charge of a calvary detail after its commanding officer is KIA. Afterwards his detail comes under the command of an infantry colonel, who takes over full command until he is stricken with a stroke, thus, command is given back to the young doctor to guide the troops and a wagon train through hostile Indian territory. Again, this movie is just a standard western, however, I found it entertaining enough with plenty of action. The lead actor is Guy Madison with fine support from James Whitmore. Joan Weldon plays the eventual love interest of Madison, but I found her acting kind of weak in this film. This was released on DVD back in March, 2009 as one of the first Warner Archive DVDs. With that said, I didn't watch my DVD, but actually watched a TCM recording that was barely watchable in my opinion.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
THE TIN STAR is a good film, more personal and less muscular than Anthony Mann's color western epics, with a solid focus on characterization and theme. It's interesting to see how Mann uses the iconic Fonda, in comparison with his handling of James Stewart and Gary Cooper. Female lead Betsy Palmer was distantly matched with Fonda in MISTER ROBERTS, so it's satisfying to see their chemistry fully explored here. And Anthony Perkins can add another fine performance to his impressive resume. Interestingly, Fonda would go on to portray a similar role in a TV series just a few years later, THE DEPUTY, where he played the wise mentor to a young law officer. The show was co-created by Norman Lear, initially produced by William (THRILLER) Fyre, scored by Jack Marshall (THE MUNSTERS), and it and ran for two seasons.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
View attachment 218990
The Arrow Blu-ray appears to be region-free because I didn't have to change the region on my Oppo 203. It's one gorgeous looking Blu-ray. It has three different audio options 5.1, 2.0 and Mono besides the audio commentary. The iTunes HD digital offers an impressive picture, but I think the detail was even more enhanced on the Blu-ray as the VistaVision black and white cinematography really stood out on my 65" OLED. This Antony Mann western is probably my second favorite western he directed after Winchester '73. Just an outstanding cast with a great screenplay that was Oscar nominated. The story is simple about an inexperienced young sheriff being taken under the wing by a former lawman turned bounty hunter. A racist town bully that isn't as tough as he seems along with the killing of a beloved town doctor that incites a law-abiding community to turn to vigilante violence is done quite well in this great western. The only quibble I have about this Blu-ray is the audio commentary. I usually enjoy Toby Roan's commentaries, but I think on this Blu-ray, he spends too much time talking about other Mann westerns instead of sharing his insights about The Tin Star. Other than that, I highly recommend this Blu-ray release which is scheduled for release in the States on April 30th. I got mine early because I pre-ordered mine from DiabolikDVD.
Just viewed this tonight. Loved everything about the film and the Arrow blu ray ( which gives Criterion a run for their money for a creative packaging.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks