What's new

Classic Film Noir (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Although not a "genre" itself, I really do like "Film Noir" films. So, what exactly constitutes "Film Noir"? This isn't really an easy question, but here is one of the better definitions that I have seen:
"The primary moods of classic film noir are melancholy, alienation, bleakness, disillusionment, disenchantment, pessimism, ambiguity, moral corruption, evil, guilt and paranoia. Heroes (or anti-heroes), corrupt characters and villains include down-and-out, hard-boiled detectives or private eyes, cops, gangsters, government agents, crooks, war veterans, petty criminals, and murderers. These protagonists are often morally-ambiguous low lifes from the dark and gloomy underworld of violent crime and corruption. Distinctively, they are cynical, tarnished, obsessive (sexual or otherwise), brooding, menacing, sinister, sardonic, disillusioned, frightened and insecure loners (usually men), struggling to survive and ultimately losing.
The females in film noir are either of two types - dutiful, reliable, trustworthy and loving women; or femme fatales - mysterious, duplicitous, double-crossing, gorgeous, unloving, predatory, tough-sweet, unreliable, irresponsible, manipulative and desperate women. Usually, the male protagonist in film noir has to inevitably choose (or have the fateful choice made for him) between the women - and invariably he picks the femme fatale who destructively goads him into committing murder or some other crime of passion.
Film noir films (mostly shot in grays, blacks and whites) show the dark and inhumane side of human nature with cynicism and doomed love, and they emphasize the brutal, unhealthy, seamy, shadowy, dark and sadistic sides of the human experience. An oppressive atmosphere of menace, pessimism, anxiety, suspicion that anything can go wrong, dingy realism, futility, fatalism, defeat and entrapment are stylized characteristics of film noir. The protagonists in film noir are normally driven by their past or by human weakness to repeat former mistakes.
Film noir is marked by expressionistic lighting, disorienting visual schemes and skewed camera angles, circling cigarette smoke, existential sensibilities, and unbalanced compositions. Settings are often interiors with low-key lighting, venetian-blinded windows, and dark and gloomy appearances. Exteriors are often urban night scenes with deep shadows, wet asphalt, rain-slicked or mean streets, flashing neon lights, and low key lighting. Story locations are often in murky and dark streets, dimly-lit apartments and hotel rooms of big cities. [Oftentimes, war-time scarcities were the reason for the reduced budgets and shadowy, stark sets of B-pictures and film noirs.]
Narratives are frequently complex and convoluted, typically told with flashbacks (or a series of flashbacks), and/or reflective voice-over narration. Amnesia suffered by the protagonist is a common plot device. Revelations regarding the hero are made to explain/justify the hero's own cynical perspective on life."
How's that for a long ass definition? :)
Anyway, what are some of your favorite Film Noir Films?
Some of mine include:
The Night of the Hunter
Odd Man Out
The Third Man
Double Indemnity
The Man Who Wasn't There
Touch of Evil
The Maltese Falcon

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
There are literally tons of noirs that I enjoy. Noir and gangster / crime films are probably my favorite category of film. Some of my favorites include:
On DVD:
The Big Heat - Fritz Lang's powerhouse from 1953 that features solid performances by Glenn Ford and Gloria Grahame and a fairly young Lee Marvin ( who is a complete bastard in this film. )
Gilda - not sure if this is a noir, but it has some of the traits, and cinematography that evokes the feeling of noir. Probably my #2 film of the '40s in terms of cinematography only behind Mildred Pierce - which will be released in February '03. ( Yeeaa! )
Un Flic - probably one of the weaker films of Jean Pierre-Melville; hampered somewhat by a laughable FX sequence in the middle of the film, but still quite effective. Especially the opening 10 minutes of the film.
Kansas City Confidential - more of a gangster film, but has some of the traits of noir. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to hear that this film influenced Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs. Not a great film, but an enjoyable entry in the crime / noir class of films with some terrific bad guys including Jack Elam, Neville Brand, and Lee Van Cleef.
Some that I have on LD:
The Set-Up - A terrific 1949 Robert Wise film with one of my alltime favorite actors of the 40's to 60's - Robert Ryan in one of his best roles.
Out of the Past - One of the definitive noirs. A must see for fans of noir. Solid from start to finish with great performances by Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas, and Jane Greer. ( Loosely remade as Against All Odds with Jeff Bridges, Rachel Ward, and a small supporting role by Jane Greer. )
Only seen on TCM:
99 River Street - a perfect little gem of a noir that never mis-steps. A great film that I hope eventually lands on DVD. Highly recommended.
Kiss of Death - Great editing, pioneering (??) use of location shooting, and a breakout peformance by Richard Widmark as the grinning, psychotic gangster Tommy Udo. I believe that Fox will be releasing this on DVD in 2003 as part of their year long classics program.
I could go on for awhile, but I'll leave it at that.
- Walter.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Big Sleep
The Big Heat
Double Indemnity
L.A. Confidential
The Stranger
Chinatown
The Maltese Falcon
Body Heat
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
Sorry, Wrong Number
Gilda
The Killers
Laura
Dark Passage
Out of the Past
Crossfire
This Gun for Hire
They Won't Believe Me
The Blue Dahlia

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
My favorite noir films?
Just about all of the above!
Damn, I thought this was a tourney. :D ;)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
My top 5 favorite Noirish films
Point Blank
The Killing
White Heat
Notorious
Blade Runner ;)

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
With a fairly broad definition, these are some of my favorite films noir:

All the King's Men
The Asphalt Jungle
Basic Instinct
The Big Clock
The Big Heat
The Big Sleep
Blade Runner
Blood Simple
Blue Velvet
Body and Soul
Body Heat
Call Northside 777
Chinatown
The Conversation
D.O.A.
The Desperate Hours
Diabolique
Double Indemnity
Gaslight
Gilda
High Sierra
Key Largo
The Killers
The Killing
Kiss Me Deadly
L.A. Confidential
The Lady from Shanghai
Leave Her to Heaven
Laura
The Lost Weekend
M
The Maltese Falcon
The Manchurian Candidate
Memento
Mildred Pierce
Murder, My Sweet
Niagara
The Night of the Hunter
Notorious
Out of the Past
A Place in the Sun
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Pulp Fiction
Rebecca
Shadow of a Doubt
Sorry, Wrong Number
Strangers on a Train
Sunset Blvd.
Suspicion
Sweet Smell of Success
Taxi Driver
The Third Man
Touch of Evil
White Heat
The Wrong Man

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
For vintage Widmark,
-Night and the City
Not the De Niro version.
-Kiss of Death
Not the Nic Cage version. :)
Laura and The Big Heat are my personal favourites though.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Maltese Falcon is one of the first, and IMO, the best.

"You can't kill me, I have the falcon."
"You may have the falcon, but we certainly have YOU."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks