What's new

Citizen Kane 75th Anniversary (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think it's an impossibility that Criterion might eventually do AMBERSONS on blu. After all, they finally got back around to CAT PEOPLE, which they previously issued on laserdisc.

It's not impossible and Criterion may even be willing. Unfortunately for them in this specific circumstance, Magnificent Ambersons is owned by Warner, which in general does not license titles. There have been a small handful of exceptions in circumstances where the director has specifically requested they do (for example Badlands from Terrence Malick to Criterion, and Heaven & Earth from Oliver Stone to Twilight Time), but with Welles long gone, he can't make that request. Which is not to say that Warner couldn't surprise us one day and it would be nice if they do, but personally, I'm not holding my breath.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Unlike CITIZEN KANE (1941), I've actually viewed THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942) in it's entirety, and more than once. I do find its theme of inevitable progress, and a well to do Family's inability/unwillingness to make the necessary adjustments intriguing, yet relatable! [...]
Perhaps you've put your finger on why "Citizen Kane" doesn't grab everyone.
"The Magnificent Ambersons" is far more accessible and relatable to the larger audiences.
Without a doubt, the "relatable" lesson taught through "Ambersons" is that we can all waste a lot of energy and an entire lifetime waiting for others to receive their "comeuppance"; whereas not all can relate to the message of Mr. Kane's greed, as few of us will ever know what it is to be so filthy rich. And that includes me.
Nonetheless, "Citizen" remains as an amazingly brave and bold feat created by such a young filmmaker. Writer, Actor, Producer, Director; such insights and such an achievement; all at the tender age of 24.
"It's [still] terrific !!!"

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's not impossible and Criterion may even be willing. Unfortunately for them in this specific circumstance, Magnificent Ambersons is owned by Warner, which in general does not license titles. There have been a small handful of exceptions in circumstances where the director has specifically requested they do (for example Badlands from Terrence Malick to Criterion, and Heaven & Earth from Oliver Stone to Twilight Time), but with Welles long gone, he can't make that request. Which is not to say that Warner couldn't surprise us one day and it would be nice if they do, but personally, I'm not holding my breath.

Warner has been licencing a fair amount to Criterion lately - Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, Cat People, Day for Night, The In-Laws, McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
I finally saw Citizen Kane in 1989 when I had just turned 18. It was one of those 'old chestnut' titles I'd heard much of my life as an example of one of the best films ever made (up to that point, the only clip I'd ever seen was Kane thrashing the room) and my dad would always remind me when we'd pass by The Gate theater in Dublin how Orson Welles got his start right in there.

When I did get to sit down and watch it it was, by fate, in the best of circumstances: tea from a porcelain cup and saucer while watching a 35mm print in a double feature with The Third Man (which I had also never seen before.) My reaction? Stunned. I was still trying to digest what I'd just witnessed when The Third Man came on! Anyway, I've been in love with Welles ever since. And I thank my lucky stars I got to see it that first time in the context that I did.

I wish I'd had a smartphone at the time, but when that 70th Anniversary Bluray was released in Ireland I was in HMV Christmas shopping. There were a huge wall of the latest blockbusters...and Citizen Kane. Right in the centre above the Bourne Box sets. I smiled to myself. Orson would be proud.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazon has pulled it from their website. Got an email about the cancellation this morning.

They must be having a dispute with Warner Bros.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tony,

I can get the U.S. release on DVD PLANET for $15. The point I am making is that Amazon pulled the original re-issue, which is a single Blu-ray release. Not a boxed set.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Amazon has pulled it from their website. Got an email about the cancellation this morning.

They must be having a dispute with Warner Bros.

Only Amazon though. I went ahead and ordered from Best Buy about a month ago and got it in a few days.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Patrick, I see it on Target. I can have it, delivered, for just under $20.

I just don't want to give stores like Walmart or Target my credit card as they have both had credit card security issues.

I will keep looking....

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I just don't want to give stores like Walmart or Target my credit card as they have both had credit card security issues.

I will keep looking....
Ron, have you considered using a prepaid Gift Credit Card to get around the security issue? It's just a thought!

CHEERS! :)

Reactions: PMF

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

I will keep looking....

$14.99 with free shipping at Best Buy...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tony,

That seems more of an inconvenience than a benefit. If these stores take PayPal, however, it would allow me to keep my card details out of their hands.

It's so tough for me once I leave the Amazon ecosystem.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Free shipping is only available on orders over $35. However, I'll pay it.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
with the crappy Canadian Dollar Vs. the US, Amazon gouging on every title and now HMV closing, it'll be pretty tough for us Canucks to get the Blu Rays we want... :(
Sad, but true! The home video market has always been a somewhat more expensive proposition for we Canucks, but after several decent years, there's no mistaking that we are firmly back into "Pay through the nose" mode! :(

As it happens, due to some upcoming life changes, I probably won't be buying any new titles for the foreseeable future, anyway. I'll simply have to enjoy what I do have for the time being at least!

CHEERS! :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I buy from Amazon UK all the time and discs are cheap and shipping is reasonable. God bless America!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks