What's new

Citizen Kane 75th Anniversary (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How can anyone who claims to love film say--- with a presumably straight face--- that they don't like Citizen Kane? I mean, I realize tastes are different and stuff... but c'mon.
Because not everyone that love film has the same film tastes. Appreciating film is the same subjective process as with any other form of artwork.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would suspect the transfer is the same.

I am buying this title for the first time based solely on its price point.

I would also suspect that this is Warner simply repackaging for a lower price offering. Worked for me!
It's a good move on Warner's part; and other's might want to follow suit, as well.
I'm all for the deluxe editions. In fact, I own the deluxe of "Citizen Kane". It's a solid, generous and filler-free package, that I would recommend to all as a superb value. But certain deluxe editions can be a somewhat daunting investment, depending on the title (or tastes).
As for those uninitiated to such essentials as "Citizen Kane", a reasonably priced single-disc makes for an easier leap of faith .

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
How can anyone who claims to love film say--- with a presumably straight face--- that they don't like Citizen Kane? I mean, I realize tastes are different and stuff... but c'mon.
KANE is supposed to be the greatest film ever made. I don't think so. Imo, CASABLANCA Is the greatest film ever made. But it's not my favourite. That award goes to The Shawshank Redemption.

As for KANE, I can't say as I like it. I can't say as I don't like it. I've seen better films. Like CASABLANCA.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It's a good move on Warner's part; and other's might want to follow suit, as well.
I'm all for the deluxe editions. In fact, I own the deluxe of "Citizen Kane". It's a solid, generous and filler-free package, that I would recommend to all as a superb value. But certain deluxe editions can be a somewhat daunting investment, depending on the title (or tastes).
As for those uninitiated to such essentials as "Citizen Kane", a reasonably priced single-disc makes for an easier leap of faith .

About a year or two after the Deluxe edition came out... Fry's Electronics had it (along with the Color version of The Ten Commandments deluxe box, Ben-Hur Deluxe Box, The Wizard of Oz deluxe box and the first Bluray deluxe box of Casablanca) for $20.00 each I bought CK, BH & TTC as I had the discs from the other sets already ;)

Reactions: PMF

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
KANE is supposed to be the greatest film ever made. I don't think so. Imo, CASABLANCA Is the greatest film ever made. But it's not my favourite. That award goes to The Shawshank Redemption.

As for KANE, I can't say as I like it. I can't say as I don't like it. I've seen better films. Like CASABLANCA.
It seems to me that some of the greatest films ever made didn't necessarily aspire to be that great - sometimes, like CASABLANCA (1942) they just are!

Regarding THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (1994), it's one of those films that I knew of, but had never viewed - until this year. It was actually our son (Who was born in '94!) who got me to watch it with him several months back. In my opinion, it is one that everybody should see at least once for its life affirming message! Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are both superb!

As for CITIZEN KANE (1941), I've yet to sit through a complete viewing, or anything resembling such! Perhaps someday, I will?

CHEERS! :)

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I can certainly appreciate the reasons that Kane is revered as it is and I'm certainly unqualified to pick the greatest film ever made but I am supremely qualified to pick my favorite films of all time. My list changes every time some asks me but Kane is usually not on the list. Actually there are only three or four films on the list and two or three others which alternate with each other. Most top ten lists that I see typically have several of my favorites on them.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
I love CITIZEN KANE... but THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS will always be my favorite Welles movie... the wounded nature of the film (plus it's theme of progress being inevitable but sometimes at great cost) really resonates with me. But KANE is as close to flawless as you'll find... (IMO... of course).

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

I have actually never seen Citizen Kane, but I don't think that excludes me from being film lover. For the record, I think The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence is the best film ever made.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I love CITIZEN KANE... but THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS will always be my favorite Welles movie... the wounded nature of the film (plus it's theme of progress being inevitable but sometimes at great cost) really resonates with me. But KANE is as close to flawless as you'll find... (IMO... of course).
Unlike CITIZEN KANE (1941), I've actually viewed THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942) in it's entirety, and more than once. I do find its theme of inevitable progress, and a well to do Family's inability/unwillingness to make the necessary adjustments intriguing, yet relatable!

By the way, thanks Nick for your helpful post regarding the $20 CITIZEN KANE amazon.ca listing! I'll keep that in mind if I'm able to place some orders next month!

CHEERS! :)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
My favorite Welles film after Kane and glad I have Robert L Carringer's book The Magnificent Ambersons, A Reconstruction (1993) where he talks about how RKO drastically recut the film from the original cut of 131 minutes to 88. What a shame the missing footage was destroyed.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Could the scene outside the hospital be more obviously not Welle's work? After magnificent sets and costumes in the rest of the film, we have a scene that looks like "General Hospital" from the 1960s.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Kane would have to be in my top 10 because it's so audacious, both visually and dramatically. It has plenty of humour, along with mystery and wonderful gothic atmosphere. The photography is mind-blowingly stunning. If you haven't seen it - you must! The bluray from Warner is fantastic.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
As I have already said, I love this film, but I think you have to be a film lover with a knowledge of the period to appreciate it.
I taught high school English media, which had a history of the movies segment. I showed many classic films with varing success.
I got to know the kind of classic films high school students would enjoy.
For instance, they thought 42street was a lot of fun, and enjoyed Casablanca. I had an extremely negative reaction to Citizen Kane however. They all but threw things at the screen!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Warner Bros has often repackaged films, usually originally released as Digibooks, in standard packaging. The only difference in Citizen Kane's case is that they are promoting the disc as a 75th Anniversary Edition leading people to hope it is something special or new.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My favorite Welles film after Kane and glad I have Robert L Carringer's book The Magnificent Ambersons, A Reconstruction (1993) where he talks about how RKO drastically recut the film from the original cut of 131 minutes to 88. What a shame the missing footage was destroyed.

The Criterion laserdisc of Ambersons was one of Criterion's greatest achievements. Carringer's running narration points out which scenes were re-shot, which were cut, and which were put in a different order. It also included the original script and a visual essay on the "Unmaking of a Classic". I hope that an eventual HD release includes Carringer's input.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Oh yes bravo to the above poster who cited THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE - such an elegiac film; still underrated IMO.

Now in regard to Citizen Kane - it is of course brilliant and audacious but as I have gotten older I like it less. (And don't tell anyone, but I like HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY even more these days.)

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I don't think it's an impossibility that Criterion might eventually do AMBERSONS on blu. After all, they finally got back around to CAT PEOPLE, which they previously issued on laserdisc. They seem to be one of the few companies that Warner sublicenses to these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks