What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Cinema Paradiso 25th Anniversary SE (1988) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
170340_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Fantastic news, Ron! I can't wait to add this to my collection and I'm thrilled it will have both cuts..

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Not trying to step on Ron's pre-order link, but it's worth noting for fans of the film that Barnes and Noble will have a larger special edition as an exclusive on 3/7...

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I have the UK Arrow version of this and I honestly can say that it's the best Bluray in my collection quality wise! I found myself frequently freezing the image because it looked extraordinary!

Haven't seen the director's cut and from what I read I probably shouldn't.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have the UK Arrow version of this and I honestly can say that it's the best Bluray in my collection quality wise! I found myself frequently freezing the image because it looked extraordinary!

The DC 'splains stuff but doesn't necessarily make you feel any better toward the choices a certain character makes ,,,

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Arrow did a fabulous job with this release. Reference quality picture and sound for a 25 year old art-house film! Regarding the director's cut: more isn't always more. The DC adds an extra 50 minutes and completely changes the emotional impact of the film. Bear in mind that that the film only became a hit in Italy and everywhere else after it was edited down to the two hour version. It's a great example of how editing can focus a story (Apocalypse Now Redux, anyone?). I first purchased Cinema Paradiso on Tartan Video's PAL laserdisc way back in 1992 and then eagerly picked up the Director's Cut which was released on VHS the year after. Even back then I was disappointed with the Director's Cut, which did receive a lot of praise when it originally was released in cinemas. I would advise newcomers to see the short version first and then the DC. For those who don't mind spoilers, there is a good essay over at RogerEbert:

http://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-correspondents/a-film-improved-by-butchering

Ernest

Supporting Actor

The Directors Cut is much better than the shortened version I won't say anymore to avoid spoilers. It is difficult to understand why movies are shortened for pure financial gain even though they ruin the movie. Movies like Lawrence of Arabia, For Whom the Bell Tolls and many, many more. I have the Arrow Region B release which includes both versions and was recently remastered in 2K for this release.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll toss in my two cents on the topic of the different versions. I'm glad I can see the longer version, but I have to agree with the comment that more isn't always more. The shorter version is just better storytelling, in my book. It doesn't usually improve things by spelling everything out. The real power of the story is seeing Toto's anguish and the conflict between his personal and professional lives. It hinges on his mother's comments about the women in his life early in the movie. Shining too much light on that, or trying to resolve it, doesn't make the story stronger, in my opinion.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I love this movie in either cut but my preference is the DC. I feel so engaged with the characters and believe that the DC gave me more information about them. One of the great pleasures of the film to me is the sublime score of Ennio Morricone; in my view one of his greatest scores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks