What's new

Blu-ray Review Cinderella: Diamond Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Right, the 400-image galleries. That's a loss, but not so much for me personally as I have to admit I rarely take advantage of such galleries. I used to, back in the laserdisc days when they were one of the new and exciting innovations, but not so much now.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Chas in CT said:
Damn it, I forgot about the Target digibook.  I've taken that option a couple of times in the past (for Sound of Music and West Side Story), just to have a non-big-box yet slightly more dignified packaging (as I happen to like the digibook format when utilized nicely).  However, I wonder if it's got those too-loose too-slippery disc pockets that allow the discs to fall out if you so much as look in their general direction.
That said, I'm pretty happy with my spot-check of this release, with the exception of one DVD extra that isn't ported over:  the Perry Como TV excerpt.  I hate to hang on to the Platinum edition DVD just for one little 6 1/2-minute feature -- and probably won't, in time -- but I think vintage TV excerpts enhance any number of DVD & BLU releases, not just Disney, and I wish these things would multiply as opposed to being thrown out.
Not pockets; it has a plastic tray which is tight enough.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Chas in CT said:
That said, I'm pretty happy with my spot-check of this release, with the exception of one DVD extra that isn't ported over:  the Perry Como TV excerpt.  I hate to hang on to the Platinum edition DVD just for one little 6 1/2-minute feature -- and probably won't, in time -- but I think vintage TV excerpts enhance any number of DVD & BLU releases, not just Disney, and I wish these things would multiply as opposed to being thrown out.
That's disappointing that the TV exceprt wasn't carried over! I wonder why it was cut?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
KellyVO said:
That's disappointing that the TV exceprt wasn't carried over! I wonder why it was cut?
One thing the industry really needs to crack down on, if they're going to go whole-hog in promoting UV and digital/streaming,is, "Do we really NEED all those danged disks?"
We get the Blu-ray, a 3D if applicable, a DVD copy, and a Digital Copy disk, for $29 for a 2D combo, and as much as $39 for a 3D+2D set. The DVD copy was originally included as a transition, but everyone assumed it was "for their car or laptop"--Is the transition over yet, and do most cars or laptops still need a DVD disk? They're hardly sold on shelves anymore, Disney doesn't bother to make DVD editions of their big-ticket animateds, and they only seem to be be manufactured to put in Combo cases.
As for the Digital Copy disk, what does that even HAVE on it anymore?--A code and program to download iTunes if you don't have it already? Most iPod/Pad devices now rely on streaming for their movies, and Disney's been promoting the tie-in with DMR to use the code to unlock their own Ultraviolet streaming copy in the first place...What do they think we're watching it on, and if they must include an iTunes hard-copy, is the DC disk simply there as a $5 token, because they didn't want to print out another paper insert with the ITunes code?
And the reason I mention the "disk-piling" issue is....THAT'S what happened to all those Bonus Disk 2 Blu-rays we used to get, back in the days of Snow White and Pinocchio. The ones that had the galleries, and the feature-length docs, and the immersive-world extras, and the vintage Disneyland specials. :(
Nowadays, there's only room in the case for one Blu-ray disk, ie. the movie, and all the features they can cram onto remaining space--and Second Screen and the failed Virtual Vault for what they can't--just because two poor-relation low-tech disks have squatter's rights in every single major edition where a Bonus Disk 2 might do some good.
We've got to start getting the dialogues going, and cleaning house.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Anybody notice that the DVD included in this package is 16X9 enhanced with black side bars hard-wired in? I don't think I've ever come across a 1.33 movie that was 16X9 enhanced on DVD before. I guess Disney has concluded that 4X3 TVs are finally obsolete!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
There is no dedicated Cinderella UHD thread, so I've decided to post these here.
Do I see grain in these shots?? :blink:
Because if it is, I'm surprised that they released a DNR-free master on physical disc!

Fs8abhVE.png

ISogPbUC.png

lzGHzdZl.png

NyK0p1qx.png

w1jofsh0.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Even the best looking physical discs that everyone agrees upon has some level of DNR. Now, if you're talking about excessive DNR being applied that's a different question.
Yeah, I'm talking about excessive DNR.
IIRC, the Cinderella blu-ray (and other blu-rays of Disney animation classics for that matter) are completely clean, devoid of any speck of grain.
It would be interesting to compare screenshots from that blu-ray to these UHD screenshots.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
There is no dedicated Cinderella UHD thread, so I've decided to post these here.
When I saw this film at the cinema as a child, I’m sure it was widescreen? I clearly remember the novelty of it and I think it was the only one of many Disney animated films I saw that was presented in this way - am I wrong?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
When I saw this film at the cinema as a child, I’m sure it was widescreen? I clearly remember the novelty of it and I think it was the only one of many Disney animated films I saw that was presented in this way - am I wrong?
Yes. Maybe you're confusing it with Sleeping Beauty?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert

Back when theatres were still running film, it was not uncommon for theatres to run the older Disney titles at 1:85, as Disney would simply reissue old prints ( along with new ones as needed ) . Most theatres in the 60's , 70's and 80's were no longer set up to run the 1:33 ratio and simply matted the top and bottom the way they did for contemporary product protected for 1:33 but designed to be shown in the 1:85 ratio. Sounds odd, but few in the audience knew much about this thing called an "aspect ratio" and once you got by the opening credits ( which gave away the game ) most audiences never noticed. And since these were thought of as basically children's films, it went on for years. I seem to recall that Disney sometimes redid the opening credits of later reissues to keep them within the 1:85 - safe area but left the body of the film alone. ( Any collectors out here that can back me up or correct me ? ) I'm sure there was at least one laserdisc of an older Disney classic that featured these 1:85-safe alternate titles as an extra in the special feature section. ( I think it was Bambi .)

It wasn't until much later that Disney finally began to issue windowboxed prints to protect the original 1:33 compositions. And digital made it even easier to lock in any aspect ratio as required.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
By all accounts I've read, Disney has "undone" most of the issues we saw as mistakes in the blu-ray releases. This UHD should be quite a revelation if the buzz is to be believed. I haven't seen it yet but I'm interested!

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Yes. Maybe you're confusing it with Sleeping Beauty?

I think that may be the case. The only Walt-era animated designed for widescreen were Sleeping Beauty and Lady and the Tramp (granted the latter also had an academy ratio version), while Cinderella premiered three years before the debut of CinemaScope and two years before Cinerama’s debut.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I'm sure there was at least one laserdisc of an older Disney classic that featured these 1:85-safe alternate titles as an extra in the special feature section. ( I think it was Bambi .)

Not sure about that. The Bambi "Limited Edition" CAV Laserdisc set lists these features:
  • Bambi: The Magic Behind The Masterpiece
  • "Tricks Of Our Trade" TV excerpt 1957
  • Original and Reissue Theatrical Trailers
  • Original Concept Art and Character Design

Perhaps it was part of that featurette or one of the trailers?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Not sure about that. The Bambi "Limited Edition" CAV Laserdisc set lists these features:
  • Bambi: The Magic Behind The Masterpiece
  • "Tricks Of Our Trade" TV excerpt 1957
  • Original and Reissue Theatrical Trailers
  • Original Concept Art and Character Design

Perhaps it was part of that featurette or one of the trailers?
I may have confused it with original titles from the RKO release now that I think of it, as my memory says the RKO credit was removed from the main titles after Disney began their own distribution. And it may been Snow White... which is why I should have just left this out since I can't be bothered dragging out an old LD player and discs to verify my memories...

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Over at bluray.com they say it's fake grain. Although I cannot understand how anyone can tell with certainty.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Over at bluray.com they say it's fake grain. Although I cannot understand how anyone can tell with certainty.
Oh, brother... people have been screaming about the revisionism and desecration of the animated classics on Blu-ray for years now, and finally Disney listened and decided to leave grain intact for the 4K editions, and this is the thanks they get. By the way, Cinderella isn't the first animated classic to benefit from this reversal of policy. The Sword in the Stone was released digitally in 4K HDR a couple of years ago, also with its grain structure restored.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Disney listened and decided to leave grain intact for the 4K editions, and this is the thanks they get.

Which is why I usually refer to the other forum as "blu-reddit."

In fairness though, it's only about two people saying that and they're getting a fair amount of push back from other members over there.

I really want this disc the more I hear about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks