What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

International Cimino's Year of the Dragon comes to blu-ray March 9, 2016 (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The French label Carlotta will release two different versions, one a deluxe edition that will run about $55.00 US that includes the blu-ray, a DVD and a book:

Year of the Dragon.jpg

http://www.amazon.fr/Year-of-the-Dragon-Blu-ray/dp/B019SD88YE?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraycom05-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B019SD88YE&m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96

and a regular edition that does not include the book that will run about $30.00 US:

Year of the Dragon 2.jpg

http://www.amazon.fr/Year-of-the-Dragon-Blu-ray/dp/B019SD88S0?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraycom05-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B019SD88S0&m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96

They are calling this a "new restoration" but I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
While this is an MGM film as has been mentioned here before it belongs to Warner Brothers here in the US so I wonder if they will be able to use this HD transfer for their own release here in the states.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Hoping to see some reviews on this to see if it has forced subs. I would have ordered but its a no sale if you have to watch it with French subs.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
From what I gather on the other site there are no forced subs, but the Cantonese dialogue scenes have French subs only. The extras are in English. I purchased the standalone Blu-ray, but it hasn't arrived yet; I can only assume a Region A disc is in the works.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Thanks, Bob. Post your thoughts once you have seen your copy. I would like to think a Region A version is coming but I think the film belongs to Warner Brothers here and may be pretty low on their priority list. If Kino had access to it I think they would already be all over getting this out. I always find it odd what films from certain directors come out first, Cimino's The Sicilian is getting a region A release before Year of the Dragon...which I mean to me is much better film. Just odd how it works out.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Watched the Blu-ray last night the video is excellent audio is English DTS MA HD the subs are NOT forced there is an on/off switch. The scenes in Mandarin do NOT include English subtitles this represents about 10 minutes of the movie. An early sequence with the Chinese Mafia leaders discussing strategy and the visit to Bangkok to purchase drugs. One thing that was evident the video is 10 times better than the DVD with much more definition and audio is excellent with all the action scenes. If you enjoy this movie this is a must buy.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
No if I remember correct I played the disc in my Panasonic player set to Region "A" making the disc is Region-Free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks