Cimarron Strip

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by younger1968, Jun 1, 2014.

1. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I purchased the past week as such I have watched few episodes. I notice that the set was not remastered as it pictures look very rough. I welcome anyone else thoughts and/or suggestions.

Regards,
    Paul Young

2. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    I liked this show when it was available streaming a few years back. But the PQ looked rough then too. And some parts of the episodes had, apparently, been cut.

The closest comparison to CS, I think, is The Virginian, which was the only successful 90-minute Western. Without commercials those episodes are about 75 minutes or so in length. I think CS episodes are c. 70 minutes in this release, which means they've somehow cut 5 minutes out. It's really too bad that a show like this, which would probably cost $4 million an episode today, if you could even make it, doesn't even get a $10,000 per episode restoration. But that's the economics of the biz, apparently, for some old shows.....

Roy Wall likes this.
  3. hypnohighball

hypnohighball Stunt Coordinator

John Sayers
  4. GMBurns

GMBurns Stunt Coordinator

Glenn
    Paul, the episodes I've watched have clocked at about 72 minutes, so there's apparently a few minutes edited. It's clearly not remastered either, but I think it looks pretty good, and I've thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

ScottDombrowski likes this.
  5. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    This business about the cut episodes has already been debated in the other Cimarron Strip thread, Different views on whether it is cut or not. Those who claim it is, base their argument on the fact that a 90 min time slot show for this period always ran for 75/76 minutes. I don't think this is necessarily so or was such an exact science.. Having viewed most episodes on the UK releases a couple of years back, I can see no evidence of trimming, so until someone can come up with an original 35mm print that runs longer my view is they are uncut..

6. Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet Stunt Coordinator

Incidentally the price has just dropped to $31.00 for Cimarron at Amazon for those still on the fence.BestGreg

JamesSmith and ScottDombrowski like this.
  7. Roy Wall

Roy Wall Supporting Actor

Typical Amazon....they confirm my "cave in" purchase B4 they drop their price. :)

8. Roy Wall

Roy Wall Supporting Actor

All I can say is that the "Producers of Gunsmoke" did GOOD making this series and I can see why Whitman is so proud of his work....WELL DONE SIR. Glad I have the series in hand and no longer just hanging on "The Knife In The Darkness" episode on DVD being the "Jack The Ripper" fan that I am.

9. younger1968

paul young
    Stuart Whittman does amazing job as the sherrif!! I have watched many episodes as such I was really impressed with the quality of the scripts!! It is too bad that this show did not go past one season!!

10. younger1968

paul young
    I have watched many episodes as such the show really impresses me!! The guest stars are very good, especially Steve Forrest!!