What's new

Chuck Heston gives farewell address (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I just saw his entire announcement on the news. He started to tear up near the end when he mentioned his family.

It was good to see him get the opportunity to say farewell to everyone.

~T

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
This is so sad. :frowning: He's been one of my favorite actors since before I can remember, and he always will be, whether his characters are performing mystical deeds of literally Biblical proportions, or cracking me up as cameos on sitcoms. I think I feel worse right now than if he had actually died.
I don't know why so many people seem to have problems with his politics and acting, often making reference to him as if he were a laughingstock. Per the rules of the forum, I'm not going to get into politics here, but in his speeches he seems to reason as well as anyone who dares to speak his mind in public, and I respect his views. In my opinion, he's a great actor, because his performances genuinely affect me, often profoundly. What more could I ask of an actor? The fact that virtually any other actor would look foolish doing what he does is meaningless, because no one can do cinematic histrionics like Charlton Heston--he really is "larger than life." He uttered some of the most memorable lines in movie history, and as far as I'm concerned, the main reason they're so memorable is how he delivered them.
Kristian wrote:
Peter Kline said:
If I remember correctly, his given name is John Charles (or Charlton?) Carter, and I believe that everyone who worked with him called him Chuck. I hardly ever hear Charlton (except in writing), and I don't recall him ever referring to himself in public as anything but Chuck, so I don't think calling him that is disrespectful, per se.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'll remember Charlton for the two times he hosted "Saturday Night Live". The 1993 episode was the best of the two...He played himself in a POTA spoof where all the cast members had become apes or were held prisoner by them. The opening cast member roll call was even customized to have the SNL actors in ape make-up.

He was great in "Ben-Hur"...great in "The 10 Commandments"..."Touch Of Evil" was good...and he contributed an excellent cameo to "Wayne's World 2" as The Good Actor.

'Tis a shame. I wish Mr. Heston Godspeed in what is sure to be a painful time.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

A quote between my first and last names wouldn't be appropriate in this case.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
There have been a few actors in my lifetime who seem to have a certain unique acting style that I find totally enjoyable and entertaining, regardless of whether or not they are considered one of the best actors of all time. Three that come to mind are John Wayne, Charlton Heston and Clint Eastwood. I have watched the Ten Commandments almost as many times as The Wizard of Oz.
Post Edited By Administrator - Do Not Repost!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I just heard about this on the radio. Sad news, indeed. I think is was courageous of Mr. Heston to stand up and admit to his illness - hopefully his spirit and character will help him endure the hard days to follow.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I got his movie, Planet of the Apes on DVD. I think that's the first movie I've seen with Charlton Heston. Good movie too. I'm looking forward to seeing Ben Hur. That's a shame he's getting Alzheimer's. I think he was pretty good in Planet of the Apes. The way he talks and stuff.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Just saw his thing on ABC KATU Portland News. What pissed me off is when they showed clips from each movie he did in Pan and Scan. I saw a blurb of what looked to be Ben Hur from the screen shots I've seen on the internet. It looked TERRIBLE! If they're gonna show clips of each movie, especially BEN HUR. SHOW IT IN OAR!!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
This is really sad news indeed, he is in so many of the great classics. I hope that we will see soon more of his older classics on DVD, like El Cid, awesome indeed.
Planet of the Apes, Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments are some of my favorite ones, plus I really enjoyed his cameo in Any Given Sunday
:emoji_thumbsup:

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
:star:
Chuck Heston has always been a class act, and he showed it again with his announcment. I wish him the best.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Ben-Hur being my 2nd fav film and the fact that I think a lot of that has to due with Heston, I found the news very disturbing. It doesn't seem fair, but then I realize millions of other people go through the same sort of thing.
Still, when an actor/artist touches your life, heck even some great sports figure or hero in general, you feel like they are a part of your family. It's most upsetting to realize that we might only be a few years from hearing the news report that Charlton Heston has passed away.
It sucks getting older and watching the heros you grew up with pass away.
BTW, not coming at this from any particular political view, but I will say this about stars and their politics in general - so often, no matter which side they take, we get soap boxers out of these stars. Only a few really make a true committment to their causes by getting involved to the point of self-sacrifice. One thing you can say about Heston, he did go out and DO what he believed in rather than just telling others what they should be doing.
Being in situations where it's your neck on the line is draining and difficult as I'm sure MS Gilbert is already finding out, for example. It's much easier to throw stones than it is to stand up and be hit with them from any direction. (and boy, the stones always come, don't they :) ).
To me, that is an excellent example for everyone to aspire to - stand up and fight for what you believe in. You can't knock that ideal.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
To me, that is an excellent example for everyone to aspire to - stand up and fight for what you believe in. You can't knock that ideal.
Excellent post. Charlton Heston is certainly a great example of that ideal, both on-screen and off.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
As always, wonderfully thought-out post Seth. Even though I've only seen his brief cameo in Tombstone (although I've got Touch of Evil sitting around from Netflix) I'm sad to hear this news. You've got to the admire the earnestness and determination with which he seems to be approaching this affliction. Good luck Charlton.:emoji_thumbsup: :star:

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
It's really sad that such a great actor has to be afflicted with such a terrible disease. I wish him and his family well and hopefully he won't have to suffer through all the stages. :frowning:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just saw his thing on ABC KATU Portland News. What pissed me off is when they showed clips from each movie he did in Pan and Scan. I saw a blurb of what looked to be Ben Hur from the screen shots I've seen on the internet. It looked TERRIBLE! If they're gonna show clips of each movie, especially BEN HUR. SHOW IT IN OAR!!
As much as I agree with your sentiment, I feel it's almost trivial compared with the intent. He is a staple of twentieth century actors, and truly an original voice. I can think of no worse fate than to literally lose your mind, and I wish him (and all other's afflicted with the trajic disease) strength and good will in the times that come.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Very sad news indeed. :frowning:
I wish him all the best.
Although the movie has been panned by critics, I've always had a fond remembrance of Mr. Heston in Airport 1975. I've always liked re-watching this film. Charlton, as usual, gave a solid performance. And who else besides Moses himself would have been able to crawl through that flight-deck opening on that Boeing 747 at 20,000 feet and save the day!! :)
Mr. Heston has been one of my favorite actors. He played the role of pilot in at least two other pretty good films too --- Skyjacked and A Thousand Heroes, which recreated the 1989 crash of a United Airlines jet in Iowa.
Every fan of his must be praying for him right now (I certainly am).

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
My prayers are with him and his family.
VERY nice post Seth. Hiding behind a cause is the way of the world these days. Standing up for one is truly commendable.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
BTW, my all-time fav Heston moment is when Massala opens the box and finds that some unknown royal from Rome has given him a beautiful dagger as a gift.

Heston comes out of the shadows and drops the bomb on him. That scene always chokes me up, I have a soft spot for dramatic payback I suppose. But the dialog there is excellent.

Every scene with Judah and Massala is pure gold IMO.

"The race goes on Judah."

We can hope that it will for Heston as well.

Make it a point to see Ben-Hur. While some call it wooden, I think his acting fits his character perfectly. He isn't an old smoothy or anything.

I also love him in Apes, and not just the famous lines. His whole conceipt and bitterness at the beginning of the film went quite against type for him and while he almost hams it up, he's still a treat to see handing out those lines.

Soylent Green is also a very interesting role for him. The big line is cliched now, but I like his role in that film and what he does with it. A great SF film.

And finally, I always thought he nailed that big in Wayne's World. It really sold the joke when he came in and gave that monster performance.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I was deeply moved by the dignity and simplicity of his statement. I fear this kind of graceful thanks and the stars who have the courtesy and modesty to speak with such eloquence are soon to be a lost breed. In this one statement Heston reminds everyone that despite anything else, he is above all things an actor and, if I may say so, a gentleman.

I hope beyond hope that science soon conquers this hideous disease.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks