Chuck Heston gives farewell address

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  2. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

A rather flipant post Dennis, don't you think?

Alzheimer's is a terrible disease, not only for the suferer but those loved ones around him. I wish him well.

3. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I've always had a great respect for Charlton Heston and this is really sad news. I've seen firsthand the horrors of Alzheimer's.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    I wasn't being flippant at all. My dad is about 6 years into it himself. You get rather hardened by this happening to a family member. After a while you just want them to die peacefully rather than live on in a vegatative state.

And I wasn't being flippant about Chuck. He's a great guy and I'm very impatient about certain of his films being released on DVD, such as The Agony and the Ecstacy. Putting these off has probably made commentary tracks impossible for these films. My guess is that he'll hand off the NRA presidency to John Milius next April.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Never seen him referred to as "Chuck" before.
    [​IMG]
    I wish him the best.
    /Mike

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    This is really sad... [​IMG]
    I lost my grandmother to this, but she died peacefully in her sleep. She never suffered much and I feel like she died as a child.
    I'll treasure my Ben-Hur DVD even more...In fact, I haven't listened to Heston's commentary yet. I'll try to do so this weekend.

7. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

This is sad, sad news. While I never quite agreed with Mr. Heston's political views, I have always greatly enjoyed his films. He has always been one of a kind, bringing great fire and passion to iconic roles like Moses, John the Baptist, and Ben-Hur. I wish him well and hope that he never has to suffer too much during the struggle he has ahead of him.

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Heston prefers being called "Chuck". At NRA meetings when he's introduced he says "call me Chuck."

9. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Terrible news. Also, I haven't liked his recent political views, but DAMMITT, he was Taylor, Moses, and fought a shitload of killer ants! I hope he never forgets what entertainment he brought to those of us sitting in the dark and on our sofas over the years!

10. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

does Alzheimers disease really kill someone, or just put them into a loss-of-memory state? Horrible news about a great actor and activist...

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Alzheimer's is always fatal. The brain dies away progressively until the heart and lungs stop working. The brain stem is the last part to go. But there are other forms of dementia such as multi-infarct disease and Pick's disease. All have roughly the same symptoms and all are fatal. The only reliable specific diagnosis at present is through an autopsy. Which is why Chuck can't be pleased with the general diagnosis. He doesn't even know how much time he has left and in what circumstances. He just has to deal with it as best he can.

12. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It is sad to see anyone have to suffer from Alzheimer's. To me this is much sadder than someone dying.

I didn't think Heston was a great actor, but he was in a number of films I really like.

I despised his political views, but nevertheless, it's sad to see this happen to him.

13. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

This really saddens me. It has already affected one person that is close to me. Just terrible. I wish him the best.

~Edwin

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    The media has finally gotten the transcript of Chuck's remarks posted:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._heston_text_1
    I'm surprised that so many decry Chuck's political beliefs. Working in the Stevenson and JFK campaigns? Marching for civil rights before it became popular? And the bill of rights is under savage attack today. As a member of both the ACLU and the NRA, I'm always amazed that some people cannot see how those two organizations are fighting on the same front.

15. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

This is really sad news. But at least he was able to say goodbye before the disease prevented him from doing so. [​IMG]

16. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Dennis, his name was Charlton. I believe only his close personal friends and family called him Chuck. Show some sensitivity and respect instead of polemics. This is my final comment on the subject.

17. MickeS

MickeS Producer

That would explain why I've never heard it. [​IMG]

18. Chuck Schick

Chuck Schick Stunt Coordinator

Odd coincidence this coming out today. I saw him last night at an outdoor classical concert in Marina Del Rey. I was at the snack booth waiting for a Dodger Dog and saw an older couple and a younger couple approaching arm in arm. When they came closer I realized it was Charlton Heston and his family. It was a little surprising to me, as he looked very decrepit and was being helped to walk.

I know I have seen him recently in a cameo or a TV spot and although getting on in years, looked strong. All the same, it was a great thrill to see him. His family seemed very nice and I hope them the best.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Do I have to close this thread in order to keep the peace? Let's keep some perspective and acknowledge an actor who performed in some of the best motion pictures made over the last 50 years or so. I hope the focus of this discussion is about those films and not his politics past or present. Thank you.
    Crawdaddy

20. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Sad sad news, Charlton Heston has always been one of my favorite actors.
    Ben-Hur is still my all time favorite film, horrible news, I really wish him the best.[​IMG]