What's new

Chroma unsampling bug in the Toshiba SD4800 (1 Viewer)

Radim

Grip
Those of you who've had a chance to see the new Toshiba SD4800, how is it with respect to the chroma unsampling bug? I was hoping that a software upgrade to the Zoran Vaddis 5 chip took care of it in this new Toshiba model. Any comments as to the extent of the bug in this player would be appreciated.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Last month, I saw the SD4800 and a Panasonic DVD-RP82 hooked up side-to-side to a couple of Sony plasma displays. Both were playing Toy Story 2 (though not synchronized).

I put them at the same chapter, stood about 8 feet back, and noticed a faint corduroy-like pattern in Jessie's hat on the SD4800. On the RP82, it was clean as a whistle. I did not have to press my nose to the display to see this. I must also add that I am red-green color-blind.

To be fair, I don't know if either display was calibrated, but this was an eye-opener for me. I had read about the chroma bug on the Internet and seen pictures, but I had never seen it up close in person.

Don't get me wrong. The picture on the SD4800 was otherwise excellent. And most people won't notice the bug if you don't point it out to them. With most material, you probably won't see it.

Hope this helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks