What's new

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1 Viewer)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I agree, CHITTY's original story was thrown out.
If you are a purist, or if it is not
part of your childhood memory bank, this might be bothersome.

I enjoyed it as a child, and still do

And, i must point out, Disney threw out lots of the original
MARY POPPINS book (in fact, two of the Banks' children),
and Disney set the story back twenty years,
in the Edwardian era....Author PL TRAVERS was not amused and had no fondness for Julie Andrews interpretation, either.

So, there you go...

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I've got the widescreen LD. However, Turner Classic Movies runs this from time to time in widescreen as well. I think there is a showing schueduled for March, so fire up those DVD recorders or VCRs!

SteveP

Second Unit
When meeting Julie Andrews for the first time P. L. Travers said to her, "Well, you've got the nose for it."

Ms Andrews has said that she could understand the objections felt by purists to Walt Disney's interpretation but "I don't see what else I could have done within his framework"

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
There is another thread somewhere here (can't remember the title) discussing a new 2003 Mary Poppins release, with extras and anamorphic, etc.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but I refuse to purchase the current DVD since it is in pan & scan. I would purchase Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on DVD if MGM would bring out a anamorphic Widescreen DVD version.

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
I will have my trusty VCR ready. I would rather have a tape version of LBX than the DVD that is available now.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If anyone posts any good contact info here I'll be happy to do my part and send in a snail-mail letter.

-dave :)

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
I suppose we could write to:

DAVID BISHOP
President and Chief Operating Officer
MGM Home Entertainment Group
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.
2500 Broadway Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404-3061

I'm not sure that MGM Home Entertainment is located at corporate headquarters (this address--which is the only address I could find), but maybe the mail would get routed properly anyway.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
You stand a better chance if you can get Home Theater Forum on you side, and people like Robert Harris (who posted he refuse to acknowledge the film on DVD in it's Pan and Scan version) Talk to Ron Epstein Robert Crawford about this they may be able to suggest a better way.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I am looking at a P&S DVD of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Well, it starts out as letterbox, but then changes to fullscreen. Damn. At first I thought it may have been mismarked.

(BTW, it is not a pretty transfer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I am looking at a so-called P&S version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but this is letterbox.

It may not be anamorphic, but my MGM disc is not full screen, despite markings to the contrary.

Am I seeing a mirage?

(BTW, it is not a pretty transfer)
Louis -- you need to watch beyond the opening credits sequence. The opening is letterboxed to fit all the credits on screen but then it abruptly changes to ugly P&S after that.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Alistar,

MGM/UA hasn't stated the DVD will be letterboxed, so don't count on a letterboxed transfer just yet. MGM still beieves family films should be Pan & Scan.

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Yes, but I think it's safe to say that MGM has been getting an earfull the last couple of years about CCBB being only available in P&S. My bet is that the SE will be widescreen.

-paul

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
MGM/UA hasn't stated the DVD will be letterboxed, so don't count on a letterboxed transfer just yet.
Alistair_M, there is 100% no-doubt-whatsoever a certainty that the new release is 16x9-enhanced anamorphic widescreen with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Period.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Alistair_M, there is 100% no-doubt-whatsoever a certainty that the new release is 16x9-enhanced anamorphic widescreen with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Period.
Oh do tell. Just how are you so 100% no-doubt certain? We all know that there was a THX-approved 16x9 WS transfer created along-side the P/S transfer used on the existing DVD...but just how do you know fer-sure that it's going to get utilized on the forth-coming SE???

I can't allow myself to "believe" and then have my heart broken yet again. I just don't think I could handle that. I need a hug!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here's your hug. ;)

I guess I have no way of guaranteeing anything for you, DaViD. Not that you would believe. Heck, in your shoes I wouldn't believe me, either. Even if I saw the print with my own eyes, you are correct in that they don't necessarily have to use it, and anything can change at the last minute.

I guess we'll have to wait to be sure.

But for now, I'm satisfied. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks