What's new

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1 Viewer)

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Watching the fullscreen version gives me a headache since so much is cut off of the sides.
Did anyone find this as funny as I did? :D

Glad to hear a better version is coming out. My copy was a gift to the kids from an uncle. I think it's a dreadful movie, but the kids love it. I'll just stick with the P&S since it was free.

Matt

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My main concern is that they'll use the old 1998 widescreen transfer and not remaster it, and everyone will complain about how poor it looks. Then MGM will get the message that we're just a bunch of whiners who won't be happy no matter what they do. :frowning:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Well,

if the image is riddled with ringing from EE or generally sub-par...you can count on a complaint or two.

However, if they use the transfer they already have and just do a nice job of compressing with no EE, chances are it will be good. The general PQ of the current P/S disc is very good (so I've heard :) )

-dave

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
My contacts here in Hollywood -- very, very reliable contacts who ARE in the know -- tell me there is a 100% chance of a 2.35, 16:9 release of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, probably by the end of the year. Trust me, I know. Trust me not, you'll eat crow. (All right, that was disgustingly lame, but it was right there.) ;)

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Just to be picky, shouldn't CCBB be framed at 2:20, since it was shot in Super Panavision 70?

This is assuming a 70mm print is available for the DVD mastering, rather than a 35mm down-conversion.

-- J.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hello Dolly next month in 16x9 WS (R1) from FOX and now a 16x9 WS Chitty Chitty on the way from MGM. It's all too much to take in :)

Widescreen 2.20:1 Anamorphic
Sounds good...is that the 70 mm aspect ratio?

PLEASE MGM give us a decent picture. Don't overcompress and DON'T add any obvious EE to the picture. Make it big-screen worthy!

dave :D

Eric F

Screenwriter
I don't think so- to date I've never seen a film on ABC-HD that was 4:3 cropped. If anything it's 2.35 cropped.

I think we'll be seeing a true 16:9 broadcast. Using the same master as the forthcoming DVD? Quite possibly...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
"panned and scanned to 1.78" means that they would take the 2.35 image and crop it down to fill the 1.78:1 screen of a 16x9 HDTV. That's about the same as panning/scanning a 1.85:1 film down for a 4x3 TV.

Are you suggesting that they might present it 2.35:1 letterboxed inside the 16x9 HD frame?

-dave :)

Eric F

Screenwriter
I misread your post as being 4:3 cropped to 16:9.

But they have on occasion showed 2.35 OAR. Unforunately all Disney (7pm Sun) broadcasts are cropped to 1.78. Who knows? Sometimes it seems totaly arbitrary on ABC's part- as if they're not quite sure what format to broadcast HD in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks