Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulEB, Feb 20, 2003.

1. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

Any news on when this will be re-released?

2. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

MGM has stubbornly resisted putting this film out in Widescreen because it is regarded by them as a children's film. And we all know children hate letterboxing.[​IMG]

3. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Yes, my best friend has the LD, which is widescreen
    and, i guess i'll content myself with that.

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I guess I will keeping waiting...although, I have waited long enough for another MGM p/s title...I'm going to go ahead and pick up Secret of Nimh.

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

If this film's MAR presentation was merely open matte,
    I'd be almost tempted, but the pan-and-scanning I saw
    when it was demo'd at a local electronics retailer
    looked truly horrible.

Mark

6. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

This was done in glorious SuperPanavision 70,
    and that's the way i'll wait for it...and wait...and wait...and wait...[​IMG]

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Well, I own the current DVD, one of only 2 or 3 P&S titles out of about 400 DVDs. I compromised my OAR principles on this one a couple of years ago in a moment of weakness when I had the opportunity to get it real cheap. Still, I don't regret it because my daughter has been able to watch and enjoy the film a few times. Kids don't stay young forever, and seeing it as a child in hacked form is still better than not at all.

Certainly I'd buy a new anamorphic widescreen version in a minute and dump the P&S one.

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I bought it because I just assumed it would be widescreen. Oh well. Its was $8. My daughter LOVES it even though its very long for a kids movie.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well to each their own. My 2 1/2 year old son also loves this movie. But he watches it in OAR on ld. If I didn't have the ld, he wouldn't see it, because I've never allowed him to watch p&s films. I'm sure he'd love some of the MAR'd Muppet movies, but I'm not going to let him watch anything in pan & scan.

10. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Many 30 something's grew up with this film, (70 MM panavision no less) and for those thirty somethings who wish to buy it, MGM should reissued it in wide screen. I remember when the Pan & Scan version came out many in the industry tried to convince MGM to release it in widescreen. THX even mastered the film for DVD in widescreen, but some dumb smuck (who shall remain nameless) at MGM refused to listen, thinking he knew what was best.

Oliver, Annie, Mary Poppins, Willy Wonka, Dr. Dolittle are all available in widescreen. Someone wake up at MGM.

And where is the widescreen "Moonstruck" this isn't a kid's film.

11. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

It's "schmuck"........ :b

12. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

I wrote MGM a quick note (trying to not to sound like an HT enthusiast) and received a fairly prompt reply (even though its a boilerplate response). Maybe we need to continually inquire so that marketing gets the picture.

13. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

HTF needs to start a petition (Like the one done for Willy Wonka)

The master has already been made by THX way back when. From what I was told (by very reliable sources) the picture looked "fantastick" or should I say "Fantasmagorical".

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Folks, whatever you do, don't bring up HTF at all. The last thing we need is for MGMs marketing folks to think that all this WS concern is just coming from a few fanatical enthusiats on some internet group...and that's what you'll be telling them if you mention HTF at all in your message or conversation.

Just sound like a *normal* everyday consumer who happens to know about the advantages of WS and who won't buy a DVD that's been P/S...and if you have kids PLEASE tell them that your kids enjoy WS just as much as you do.

Everyone write MGM. Eventually they'll hear us.

Secret of NIHM and Chitty are 2 films that deserve 16x9 WS OAR no-questions-asked.

-dave

15. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Tell them to start manufacturing the laserdisc again!

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Oh no...

one 3-sided 4x3 lbxed laserdisc is quite enough! A nice single-sided dual-layered 16x9 WS 5.1 DVD is what we need [​IMG]

BTW, it costs much less to make a DVD than a laserdisc (and they already have the THX 16x9 D1 prepared!). What's holding up this disc at MGM is politics.

17. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Todd,

Some of what David posted is partly right, but HTF is a strong enough force to get the attention of a studio (i,e, Willy Wonka) Also we don't want to threaten MGM, but we can seriously and politely present strong reasons for releasing the DVD by starting a campaign like the one done for Willy Wonka, it's possible something may happen.

Actually, you should call the President's office at MGM/UA Home Video (Don't go through marketing, things get done when you go directly to the top. You'll most likely get the President's assistant anyway but they will listen and usually do something).

Tell them you can get together a listing of many names waiting to buy the widescreen version, (many names = sales)

Point out the fact that Warner Bros. did very well sales wise with their Wonka re-release.

Mention that THX already has the widescreen master (Confirm with THX first on this, it is possible it can't be used for some reason, remeber the quality of {Paramount's "Grease" DVD)

And mention other titles from the same era released to DVD in widescreen: "Oliver!" "Mary Poppins" etc.

And also send it writing. Remember this is business, and don't accuse or insult them in anyway.

Hey, the loudest wheel....

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I meant that since I didn't buy the laserdisc when it was out, and they won't put it out properly on DVD, they should keep the laserdiscs on the shelves for those of us who want the correct version of the movie.

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

To be fair on the response you got from the customer service rep, they know nothing other than the press releases in front of them. CCBB could indeed be in the works and they'll know nothing about it.

20. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

This book was read aloud to my first grade class by our teacher and 33 years after seeing the film I can still remember my disappointment that the movie threw out the original storyline--just a second-rate MARY POPPINS
    retread to me. Perhaps if I had caught it first-run in 70MM, I'd have more regard for it.