1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Chill Out (Your Gear), Dude!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnRice, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Message #21 of 31 Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    DFurr

DFurr Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Don
    John as a general rule that is correct, however the main processor actually has two fans that pulls air flow from the back to the front. The fans are mounted in the front door cover. I've had
    large amps in the past that blew the air out the front as well.

2. xx Brian xx

xx Brian xx Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    Great thread! In the past I ordered my cooling controllers and fans from CoolerGuys.com. Recently I started ordering from AC Infinity. I just picked up a few new fans and a new T3 display/controller for my smart closet. Highly recommend these fans.

Brian

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    This topic brought up something interesting Friday night. I decided to just check the temp of the amps in my main HT. I have three Emotiva amps driving the system. Two of them were nice and cool, but the XPA-2 that drives my main speakers was hot. I mean, blistering hot, but only on one channel. I know this because the design of the amp has the power supply, capacitors and some other stuff in the middle of the housing, with the amp circuits along the sides, from front to back, with big heat sinks. The right side is cool, but the left side was so hot, I can't even hold my hand on it for more than a second or two.

I sent an inquiry through Emotiva's web site, and we'll see what I hear back. I was baffled how this could happen, and the only thing I can come up with is that the biasing on the left channel has gotten blown out somehow, because I can't hear anything wrong with the audio. The only thing I can come up with is the Class A isn't limiting to what it should be, but that channel is running Class A all the way to full power.

That amp is so heavy (80 lbs.) that I'm not sure how practical it even is to have it sent in. I might have to live with it, and add powered cooling. It'll be burning a lot of electricity, though. I have a power draw meter around here somewhere, so maybe I should dig it up and find out exactly how much power it's drawing.

4. JohnRice

John
    The AC Infinity T8 has to run at speed #3, at the minimum, to keep the amp from getting so hot. That's a fair amount of airflow.

I did hear back from Emotiva, and they basically shined me on. Treated me like an idiot, more or less. I explained more definitively, in my response, but that was after I got home from work, so we'll see what comes from it.

5. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    I remember maybe 5 years ago my Onkyo TX-SR 805 would be hot enough to fry an egg on after [what I considered] moderate use. The Onkyo's were known to run hot but this one started dropping channels soon thereafter, which is what put me on my path to separates.

In summary, excessive heat, no good; so I'm very glad you've got yourself protected now.

6. JohnRice

John
    And electronic toys are fun.

John Dirk likes this.
  7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Trigger pulled (on behalf of my wife) on a T10 unit. It'll be waiting under the tree for me on Christmas morning! :D

I just can't get over how practical these units seem to be. And to think I specifically went looking for something like this a few years ago and found nothing. Thanks, guys!

John Dirk and JohnRice like this.
  8. JohnRice

John
    Well, the feedback from Emotiva tech is that my 2 channel amp has a serious problem. It can be serviced, but I hesitate, since I wonder if it's a symptom of bigger problems, and I don't want to throw good money after bad. I drive that amp HARD, and the fact is, the previous amp eventually suffered the same problem. I've never had a problem with my center/surround amps, one of which is the same model line and older than this one.

9. JohnRice

John
    it's a flexible unit, which means the settings can get complicated. I've settled into what I like, if you want me to detail it.

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I appreciate that offer, John. I'll let you know after I unwrap it on Christmas and get to spend some time with it. :D

11. JohnRice

John
    I think I mentioned that their little owner’s manual doesn’t explain how to adjust all the settings (like dimming the display) and sometimes finding it is difficult.