What's new

Chicago Alternate Rock Icon Wesley Willis died last week. (1 Viewer)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
wow .. that's a bummer. I used to see him all the time milling around the corners at North & Damen in my neighborhood. I'm sure there'll be something in the Chicago Reader this week. I'll post the link.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Wesley Willis was the best man to the max. I loved him like a Mighty Dog.

Wow, I am kind of astounded at how enormously broken up I am about this. I was going to see him in concert last April, but the show was canceled. Didn't think it would be my last chance. I really wanted to meet him and tell him how inspiring his struggle was to me.

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator
Indulge a quick recollection...Wesley Willis recorded an album in my studio some years back for Olgio Records. What an incredible experience it was, the Casio pumping out the programmed beat and Wesley singing at the top of his lungs...

It's always sad to lose such an original voice, but Wesley was so open, so musically naive and involved, and so wonderful to be around that he will impossible to replace.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mark.....

:frowning:

(there's no crying emoticon)

I tried listening to some WW in tribute earlier today. I had a hard time enjoying it. I used to most appreciate his songs about his mental illness. I can't say that I actually enjoyed songs like "Outburst" as much as they gave me a tiny glimpse of understanding into his condition. Then the joke songs like "I Whupped Batman's Ass" or happy songs like "Harmony Joy Bus Ride" would make me appreciate that his life did have some joy in it.

It's just not the same now, he was so prolific.

I hope that Alternative Tentacles and whoever else owns his back catalog will put some of the money that would have gone to WW to some kind of mental helth charity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks