What's new

Chet Baker biopic? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A couple of years ago, Leonardo diCaprio was supposedly in talks to star in a Chet Baker biopic. What happened to this? I would assume he's no longer attached, what with Alexander the Great and other roles in his future. But, maybe the movie is going to go ahead? I love Chet Baker's music and, though a biography of his life would probably be pretty harrowing and difficult to watch, it could be an interesting project.

John Watson

Screenwriter
DiCaprio played a dissolute artist in a not-very-well-known movie before Titanic. And I understood he was considering American Psycho, but perhaps it was too risky.

At the risk of being taken for a joker, my guess is he's too much of a light-weight for Chet Baker.

There have been TV bios on Baker, saw one a few years ago on BRAVO.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll try to track them down, John. Thanks.

As for Leo, I wasn't necessarily sold on him for the role. I was mainly interested in the film itself. But, now that I know there are other options, it's not as important.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The definitive Chet Baker movies have already been made: Bruce Weber's Let's Gets Lost is the most effective and affecting musician's biographical documentary I have ever seen. A truly great film. Unaccountably it is still not available on DVD -- even the soundtrack CD has gone OOP.
Chet's romance a stunningly beautiful CinemaScope short film of a live Chet Baker performance (dir. Bertrand Fèvre) is unrivaled by any other performance film -- in 10 minutes it conveys more about Chet Baker, music, life and the beauty of film than 100 other concert films combined.
If ever there was someone not in need of further films about him, it is Chet Baker -- just in need a high quality DVD of Let's Get Lost and Chet's romance.
Ted

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've never heard of those, but they sound like must-sees. I guess the lesson here is, I should have done some research on the IMDb before posting. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks