What's new

Check out this Deal...WOW !!! (1 Viewer)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Jon,

$900.00 was a guesstimate. It may cost more if I actualy

sat down and priced everything out (and factored in S&H)

My point was that I didn't have the time nor the desire to

search out the cheapest prices on components. I didn't want

the hassle of dealing with many vendors to get the best price

on each and every component.

As for all companies using name brand components. This is

not true. Many well known companies (and many not so well

known) stick the cheapest CD and DVD Drives in, Cheap PSU's,

Generic HSF's, The cheapest HDD's you can get etc etc..

I have seen it before.. I am not saying that every company

uses cheap components nor am I saying that Micron is the

only company that uses name brand. I am just saying that

Micron builds a very robust PC using all high quality standardized

components. There is no "limit" to the upgradeability no more

so than there would be if you stuck the parts in your self.

I do agree, The days of Packard Bell using one off ram chips

and certain cases that only use certain drives are fairly

over..

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
In my case, I like to get the best deal on parts and put them in myself. When I research each part, I look for what fits my 'style' best. If you didn't research the parts that went into your system, do you know what you have? With the prefab systems, most people (that think the way of 'get the best') just buy the most expensive part and be done with it. More times than you'd think, this just doesn't work.
But I can tell you that Micron caters to the hard core graphics designer, Gamer and Buisness Professional where as Dell and Moo( err um) Gateway cater to the newbie.
Now now, let's don't get carried away. I know you're proud of your Micron cpu, but Dell is the leading manufacturer of servers. There are Dell products which are designed for Joe-Six-Pack who just wants a game machine, with the whiz-bang graphics cards and all (Dimension series) but they definately have more market share than Micron. Look - I had a friend who bought a Micron (quite awhile back...it was a 486/50) and it was good. What I'm saying is when you allow someone else to put your system together, you're taking the potential for customization out of your system. How many fans does your case have? Mine did have 4+1 when I first got it. Now it has 11. Why? Because I moved things around and had to get air on some necessary parts.
(kept blah blahing for awhile)
Most people do what you do and buy a prefab machine. Nothing wrong with it. I just happen to like to do it myself. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
John,

Comparing Dell to Micron is sort of hillarious if you ask

me.. Micron not only builds PC's but they also happen to be

one of the 3 Ram Manufacturers in the world (Crucial).

As far as servers go, Yeah Dell makes an okay server.. We

have a few at work.. For the most part IBM Netfinity and

IBM E-Servers and the number one choice.

You keep going back to the same theory that if it is a prebuilt

system then you are unable to cusomize or you are limited

to what you can customize?

I am confused where you get this idea at. Right now I run

6 Fans in my case the intake fan being an absolutely MASSIVE

Sanyo Denki SAN Ace (way bigger than 120mm) I have already

done mods to my system. I am confused as to where I can't

upgrade? Care to point out where I am "stuck" ?

Like I said before I have 6 PCI's a CNR Riser and more..

There is no shortage to what I can change or use. As for

ISA... Well that's just a dead technology.

I am not defending Micron in particular I am just trying to

figgure out your twisted logic about upgradeability.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I wish I could buy from dell a computer with just a motherboard and processor and case. I want a stripped down skeleton of a PC and then I would go buy the rest of the parts from someone else.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
MikeAlletto:

That's what I'm talking about. If there were some way of doing that, I'd actually think about doing business with Dell or Compaq.

Brett:

I'm just now realizing the futility in continuing this discussion.

-finis

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
John,

I am sorry that you feel a level headed discussion is "Futile".

I aploalgize for trying to provoke a reasonable discussion.

My mistake.

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, last attempt at some response to my two original questions:
1. Medion computers? Experiences? Anyone know of a place to purchase these computers?
2. Other "generic" computer companies of which the forum members know or have experience, who offer computers w/name-brand components at reasonable prices?
Sorry if this thread caused a bit of an arguement. It was definitely not intended to do so... I was simply trying to get a few responses to the questions above. Take a deep breath... and ;) Keep Smilin' ;)... Cheers -JD

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Jack,

You could always just take a trip down to your local PC store. Tell them what you want, and they'll give you a quote. Everything will be brandname parts, because you are telling them what you want.

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
WOW Andy, What a great idea... I never thought of doing that!!! Please excuse the sarcasm; I am looking for input from other forum members about "..."generic" computer companies of which the forum members know or have experience..."

It is the knowledge and experience of others which is of importance to me.

James St

Supporting Actor
I bought my first computer back in Christmas of 2000. I was sick of using WebTV for the past few years and finally made the jump. I ordered a barebones system from CyberpowerPC.com. I planned on building one but buying a skeleton sytem from them would have cost me the same so thats what I did. I added video, sound, monitor, printer, OS, etc. separately. Over the past few months I upgraded each part without any problems at all. Soon I'll have upgraded all the parts and will be able to reassemble my original pc.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
input from other forum members about "..."generic" computer companies of which the forum members know or have experience..."
The only thing about generic computer companies that makes them generic is probably the name they slap on the front. All the rest of the parts are probably well known parts. This is probably what is confusing everyone about your questions. You could say the computer I built myself is a generic computer because I didn't go through any of the big boys (dell, compaq, gateway, etc). Do I know anything about Medion? Nope....never heard of them, but the company is not as important as the parts they use. If looking at the specs of the computer shows they use normal brand name parts then there probably won't be any problems with them.

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the response James; I'll check'em out.

Mike, I understand your point; So I'll try to clarfy. The Medion computer is a perfct example of what I'm asking about. Perhaps there are others out there who A, have heard of Medion computers, or B, know of another "lesser-known" company, who, like Medion, offers pre-made computers that use name-brand parts at a reasonable price. Emachines would be an example of a company who offers pre-made computers at a discount price, BUT, it is cheap because the actual component parts are cheap. This is exactly what I DON'T want... The computer you built yourself is exactly that, built yourself... not pre-made as a package deal with a discounted price. Simply stated, if there is a company named Medion, who no one has heard of, that sells pre-built computers at a discount price as exemplified by my original post with the Medion PC specs; surely (please don't call me Shirley...) there is another company, which someone else in this forum has knowledge/experience with, who offers the same kind of product as Medion. This is the info. I'm looking for. I apologize if I've confused everyone with my questions. I hope this post clarifies my intentions. -Cheers, JD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks