What's new

check engine light (1 Viewer)

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Well, I went to the Valvoline during lunch to get my oil changed, the rear diff fluid changed, fuel injectors cleaned, engine flush, and a complete fuel treatment. When I left I noticed my check engine light was on. My truck only has 17K miles on it, so I was wondering if anybody had their check engine light turn on due to fuel system treatment being present in the fuel? Or maybe it's just something stupid like the oil cap isn't tight.

I'll have to swing by there after work I guess. What are your thoughts?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Sounds like they didn't tighten the fuel cap properly. If they ran one of those 3part fuel system cleaners, this is a big possibility. Your vehicle?

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Chevrolet seems to have the most check engine lights due to loose gas caps.

Why would you have the injectors "cleaned" on a vehicle with only 17K miles?

The truck should be good until 100k miles.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The majority I get are Fords, among others. I'm sure they didn't do a "Pro-Kleen" at a quick-lube. Either way, a bit early, even for the 3part scam.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Due to emissions requirements cars are now set so that if the fuel cap isn't on tight the check engine light comes on. From what I've been hearing it's one of the more common reasons cars are brought into dealerships these days, regardless of brands. I know it is quite common with VWs also.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit

Yeah, I thought so too, but this is my first brand new vehicle, and I feel bad if I skip any "recommended" services. Maybe I need to think about it.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Kragen's has a OBD-II code reader on sale for $99 after rebate this month. I got one so I could go into the mechanic with at least some knowledge. And if it's a loose gas cap I can fix that.

My 2001 F-150 had a SES light for the EGR system. Apparently Ford has a silent recall on the vacuum switch (PDFE) for the EGR.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
According to the manual of my own car, a '99 Cavalier, you should drive through a full tank of gas with the 'check engine' light, as it might be a batch of bad gas, contaminents, or just some gas got slopped onto a sensor, so it thinks your tank if flooding all the time.

Yeah, great.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The check engine light on my '96 Ranger has been on for about 2 years now.

Happy Life Tip #325
Never, ever allow a quicky lube shop perform any maintenance on your vehicle other than an oil change.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
head over to autozone or pepboys, they have OBD scanners you can borrow to scan and reset the code.
Without knowing the code this is all pure speculation.

Or, another thought, it's under warranty at 17k, let the dealer mess with it.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Philip,

Due to some odd circumstances in California, those stores will not pull OBD codes for customers. They claim it's "the law". However, they will SELL you a code puller for $150. I got mine at Kragen's for $99 after rebate this month. www.iequus.com/item.asp?cid=10&pid=3100

Zen,

I pulled the code (P0401) (but not reset it) even though I was going to take the car to the dealer under warranty. I then wandered around the F-150 forum online www.f150online.com/forums/index.php and found out about everyone having problems with the PDFE switch going out. Heck mine went out at 23K miles. It's handy to know this kind of information when talking to the service reps at the Ford dealer. And of course once it's out of warranty, I can work on it myself with the code puller.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
bizarre, I have a harris OBD I bought super cheap, but it's PC based, I've long lost the software and don't use it

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Well it isn't the gas cap. I checked it, plus I have a special light just for the gas cap. Now I have to guess that the rocket scientists put enough fuel treatment in for a full tank of gas. I only had just under a quarter of a tank at the time...

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I also had a "fuel system treatment" at a quick lube and I got check engine lights due to sensors in the exhaust being "overheated". I made the quick lube pay for the damage....$277..... I found that this quick lube ties to push every customer into this telling them some "dirty" story. It is simply a scam preying on people who just "want their oil changed"........
A Ford tech fiend of mine tells me to NEVER run cleaning chems through your truck.... if the injectors need cleaning, remove them and clean them......

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I worked for a lube shop until recently and we would do this service.

I would tell my customers:

A. Fill up the tank if they were 3/4 or less.
B. That with some engines the check engine light pops on due to the pollution sensor noticing a difference in the internal air mix.
C. That MOST turn off/reset on their own. If after 24 hours it is still on, return and we would put the reader on and reset the check engine light. That would happen to maybe 1 in 500 cars.

Never had a major problem with it..ever. And I found in all my cars a significant difference after doing that service.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I've heard that "topping off" your gas tank too much can cause the filter to become flooded, which can make that check engine light come on.

But 9 times out of 10 for me, the check engine light means your oxygen sensor is shot. You have to get it replaced, it costs around 100 bucks.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Oh, one other trick. Disconnect your battery then re-connect it. This can reset the coding and get rid of that pesky light. If the light comes back on again, you probably have a real problem.

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Go Japanese next time. I've got 78k miles on my '97 Accord, have done the routine maintenance, and I've never seen a check engine light of any kind. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks