What's new

check engine light (1 Viewer)

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Bob,

Obviously the first step is to get a code pulled. Although it could just have been a coinsidence that it happened at the same time, in my experience, I have seen on more than one occasion that a fuel system service could cause a CEL to come on. Mostly because you are severely altering the air/fuel mixture and the computer hasn't much control over compensating for it. There may not be a "hard" problem anymore, and in time the light may reset itself, but for warranty issues, don't put it off getting it checked out.

Dennis,
The P0401 usually indicates a bad DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR sensor) along with P1400, P1401, and P0402. as long as other codes are not present. And yes Ford has a campaign for alot of their vehicles covering that concerne (02M01).

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

to be more specific, disconnect the negative terminal, then get in the car and hit the brakes, the lights might come on, hold the brake until they go out to "bleed" off any power in the car, might even give it 15 minutes after that. Then reconnect and fire it up.

I wouldn't imagine it would be an O2 sensor, not at 17k miles. Never know though. No one does until you pull the code.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
WAHOO!!

A fresh tank of gas did nothing, even after going through the trouble of running it almost all the way down. However the unplugging the battery trick worked like a charm.

Thanks guys!

David Preston

Supporting Actor
If it happens again take it to the Ford dealer since its still under warranty. They will tell you why its on and fix it for free. Where I live in GA you have to pass emissions and if you have a code in your computer your car will fail. How long have you driven it after you unplugged the battery? My car was out of warranty I have a 98 Z28 and my SES light came on. I took it to the dealer and found out it was the EGR gone bad. I got lucky there was a recall on the EGR and didn't have to pay a $. Hope it stays off for you.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
So far, I've just driven it to work, which took about 30 minutes. Still off. I guess I should have gotten the code pulled, just to make sure it was the fuel treatment. Hopefully it'll stay off and i'll never know.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
My 99 accord has this problem. The light has been on for about a year now. I had the EGR valve replaced, the computer reset and the light still came back on. It passed emissions with flying colors though so I'm not worried about it. Apparently Honda has had some bad problems with their EGR valves on 98-99 accord models. They did a silent warranty extension that covers up to 80,000 miles.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks