What's new

Cheater plug dangerous..if plug in a HTS-3500?? (1 Viewer)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Little variation over an old theme "a cheater plug really dangerous"?? Because here, if I put a cheater plug on my amp power cord AND plugging it in my Monster HTS-3500, I get rid of a nasty hum. If I'm plug in the HTS-3500, then the amp is grounded by the powerbar ground, no?? because the bar has 3 prongs??

And I never touch this amp, because it open by itself with a 12v trigger from pre-amp... So where is the danger in my set-up??

Mike Ilano

Grip
That's a good question,coz I'm also using this plug on my 1095 going into a Monster HTS-1000.Any feedback here?:confused:

JackS

Supporting Actor
Levesque- No doubt it could be proven to be dangerous but I've used them for years with no problem and no longer any concern. I'm currently using two cheaters with two amps and one amp grounded in a 5.1 setup. If you can overcome the hum using some of the legitimate suggested remedies, this would probably be the way to go. If you can't and want the easy way out, use the cheaters. I choose to take the easy way out.********. I dissavow any responsibility taken by anyone using this advise. Becuase I choose this risk does not mean I advise everyone else to take the same risk. I'm not an electrician, but if you have one source or one amp correctly grounded, this should be protection enough.( I think.)

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Levesque,
First, I have read several of your posts with respect to you Rotel 1095 problem. I believe that most would agree that you have gone well over and above an honourable mention of being a true Home Theater Enthusiast!
Just so that I have this straight... You have a three pronged power cord that came stock with the amp. You have then put a two-pronged cheater plug on the end of the three-pronged one, thus not connecting the ground wire. This gets rid of that "ground-loop hum". Right at this point, the amp is not grounded because the wire that is ground ends at the cheater plug connection. There is no ground wire that connects to the HTS-3500, thus the amp is not grounded via this method.
As to the risk? Very little, but it seems to me that you possibly have the type of personality that this band-aid solution will be a constant irritant (like it would be to myself).

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Levesque,

Just read another post of yours. I thought you got rid of the problem by replacing your receiver with the 1066. Do you still have the humm/hiss problem or are you just trying to lower the noise floor even more?

David

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Stop it Berry, I already got remorse!!

I don't really have any other choice here (see my other posts here). With a RX-V3200 for pre-pro, the cheater plug was NOT working at all for my sounds. But, strangely, with the RSP-1066 for pre-pro, the cheater plug is working!! I don't know what the difference is, maybe you can help me...But this "white noise" was so annoying, that know I'm in silence heaven, so I don't want to go back...

I'm proud that you see me has "a true Home Theater Enthusiast!"... I really enjoy this hobby that we all share... And having little problems to solve is making it more fun!!

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I know what you mean with respect to the problem solving. Fortunately with my Bryston amp, the hum noise was simply caused by the TV coax cable and a ground break via Xantech worked. I remember that you had the same problem at around the same time I did.
Again, so I have this straight, the RSP-1066 has a 3-pronged cord that, when connected to your HTS-3500, generates a loud noise floor. When a cheater plug is employed, however, the noise floor drops dramatically. Is this right? If so, that must mean a ground loop problem of some sort. There are no other variables that I can see.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I read in several threads over at avsforum.com that by placing cheater plugs on amps, they are still grounded by the interconnects to the pre/pro. Is this true? I have a ground loop and am currently using some concoction from radio shack connected to the incoming cable line, which does eliminate the hum, but has introduced ghosts to the video.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Sorry Berry, I was not clear... With all those long explanations with my mother-in-law, tought I had learn to be more precise...(LOL).

The cheater plug is on the RMB-1095 (this amp got a 3 prong connector), that is plug in the Monster HTS-3500. The RSP-1066 (pre-amp with a 2 prong connector) is connected to the HTS-3500 to, directly without cheater plug. No noise. Perfect silence.

In the same set-up, with the RX-V3200 (a 2 prong receiver) and no cheater plug, but still one on the RMB-1095, I was in noise hell! Both were plug in the HTS-3500.

Hope it is clearer now.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I have a ground loop and am currently using some concoction from radio shack connected to the incoming cable line, which does eliminate the hum, but has introduced ghosts to the video
An easy and usually effective way to eliminate ground loop hum from an incoming cable TV line is to use a pair of impedance transformers. You know, the little ones to convert from the F-type coax connector (75 ohm) to the two wire (300 ohm). Two of them in series will go from coax to two-wire to coax again. This will eliminate ground loops because the grounds from the two coax ends are not connected together; they are coupled together using the transformer. Use the best quality transformers that you can find/afford to help reduce any signal degradation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks