What's new

Cheapo DVR? (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I have an old PII 166 computer that is not really used anymore. It has 96 meg of RAM and a no-name brand video card. There will be plenty of space on the hard drive after I remove all the "Sesame Street" programs. Is it possible to make this computer into a simple DVR? I just want an alternative to my vcr, and would like to be able to watch TV in my bedroom without having to buy another TV. I don't mind spending the same amount of money, but I really want to avoid the clutter. (Well, I really want a 30" plasma TV with a dedicated small HTIB in my room.) I don't mind if this becomes a "project." That is half the fun.
Thanks.

Aaron_*P

Stunt Coordinator
Video is the most resource intensive thing for a computer. For a HTPC that is usably fast I would recommend at a MINIMUM a nice Pentium 3. However atleast Pentium 4 or Athlon XP is recommended.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, the process of encoding the video onto the hard drive requires some ample amount of processing power. The P166 isnt gonna cut it at all (i have a 166MHz box, it can barely surf the net and check email) unfortunately...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks