Cheapo DVR?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DanielKellmii, Feb 7, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

I have an old PII 166 computer that is not really used anymore. It has 96 meg of RAM and a no-name brand video card. There will be plenty of space on the hard drive after I remove all the "Sesame Street" programs. Is it possible to make this computer into a simple DVR? I just want an alternative to my vcr, and would like to be able to watch TV in my bedroom without having to buy another TV. I don't mind spending the same amount of money, but I really want to avoid the clutter. (Well, I really want a 30" plasma TV with a dedicated small HTIB in my room.) I don't mind if this becomes a "project." That is half the fun.
    Thanks.

2. Aaron_*P

Aaron_*P Stunt Coordinator

Video is the most resource intensive thing for a computer. For a HTPC that is usably fast I would recommend at a MINIMUM a nice Pentium 3. However atleast Pentium 4 or Athlon XP is recommended.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, the process of encoding the video onto the hard drive requires some ample amount of processing power. The P166 isnt gonna cut it at all (i have a 166MHz box, it can barely surf the net and check email) unfortunately...