Cheapest 36# TV with true 16:9 mode and prog. scan input?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MTrotter, Mar 27, 2002.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    I want a 36" set with a true anamorphic squeeze for my Panny RP91. Doesn't have to be HDTV ready, unless that is the only way I am going to get a progressive scan input. So far, I have only come up with Sony, which look great. I found out the Hitachi, which also looked real good, only scans 810i in their 16:9 mode.

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

As far as I know it must be an HDTV set to receive a progressive scan output from your RP91.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

To display a 480p image, the set must conform to the ATSC standards. In other words, it must be "digital ready." A standard NTSC-based set cannot display progressive-scan images.

4. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    Thanks, guys, for the clarification. So, I need a HDTV-ready set. However, the Sony 36" HDTV-ready sets are getting up near the $2000 mark. At that point, I believe one can have the 46 and 47 inch Mits and Panny RPTVs. Can they approach the image quality of the Sony 36"?

5. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Best Buy has the Toshiba 36HF71 on sale this week for $1709 at my local store (I assume the same price holds everywhere). It seems to get a generally good reception at HTF if you can get one with minimal geometric distortion. I've been tempted myself. I'm sure it can be purchased at a lower price elsewhere, but I don't know where.