What's new

cheap speakers? (1 Viewer)

JohnLong

Auditioning
I got the kenwood HTB-503 setup, since I'm on a very tight budget, about 6 months ago. Everything has been OK except for the surround speakers. I'd really like to get something to replace them, but I'm still in school/not making lots of money. I'm looking for some simple surround speakers for

JohnLong

Auditioning
I've checked out the JBL N24 pair, and I can get some for around $100 here. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, any other ideas?

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
Give the Paradigm Atoms, Titans and Mini Monitors a listen... they can all be had for under $200.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Titans and Atoms yes, but I'd like to know where you can get Mini Monitors for under $200 new (that would be below cost)

Eujin

Supporting Actor
The Atoms and Titans are definitely a must-audition if you're on a budget. John Garcia is right--mini monitors can't be had for under $200, unless they're used. I'd go for the Atoms over the Titan's though--better value IMHO.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Why do you want to replace the surrounds in particular? I assume they are the same speaker as the mains. Generally, you will hear a larger difference by replacing the mains/center, then the subwoofer, then last the surrounds. That being said, yes - Paradigm Titans and Atoms are a good choice. Would seem odd to have better surrounds than mains though.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
JOhn, I would agree with Eric and say you may want to look into upgrading your fronts first before the surrounds since most likely you're going to end up with better speakers in the back than in the front.

Also, when you say you don't like the surrounds, what is it that you find unappealing? Is it simply that you don't seem to notice sound from them? Have you calibrated your system using the Radio Shack sound meter and a test tone disc?

As for a pair of decent speakers for

JohnLong

Auditioning
Well, one reason I want to replace the surrounds is that the left/rear one is very fuzzy sounding. So instead of getting it checked out I just wanted to get new ones :) But I like the idea of getting new mains, the moving my mains to the rear. I'll check out those others you mentioned also.
Thanks,
John

JoeDelan

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Check out the Polk RT25I's GREAT Speakers for the Price...They are highly rated by the online reviewers and the Print Magazines...They run about $99 a piece now...Great speaker...

DonnyD

Screenwriter
The JBL N series are gonna be tough to beat when it comes to the sound value for the money spent. There's several good brands out there though that would be much better than you currently have....

You're going through exactly what a buddy of mine did just recently and he too checked out several low cost options and ending up choosing the N-26 JBL for his mains and moving his other mains to rear duty. He loves it and even though I spent thousands more on my system, his audio is now pretty darn good. I think he got the N-26 online new for about 125 bucks.......

Let us know what and when you make the change and how much better you think your system is.....

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
John, I am not familiar with the HTB503, but aren't all the satellite speakers the same like with most HTBs? In any event, putting the new speakers in as mains and moving your mains to the rear would be a great idea, but for one thing. You may not get much overall sound improvement because your current mains are a better timbre match for your center than any off brand. Having mismatched surrounds is not as large a concern. Then again, I doubt you will notice that huge an improvement just replacing the surrounds. I agree with the other poster that you should get an SPL meter and work with levels and placement. When you can afford new mains AND a center, go for that. You are looking at probably a minimum budget of $300 to do that though.

JohnLong

Auditioning
I think I will replace my center also, but I may wait a little while to do it. But I want the mains for now :) I went and listened to the Polk RT35i, Klipsch ?, Boston Acoustic CR85b, & JBL N26. So far I have liked the Polk and Boston's the best.
Any thoughts on the Boston's?

JohnLong

Auditioning
Alright, I've given the JBL N24 & N26 another listen and they are great for the price :) Though the Boston Acoustic sounds better, I can't find it for a similar price anywhere. (Anyone know of an online retailer that sells BA?)
I think I'm going with the N26's to replace my mains.
Thanks to everyone,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks