What's new

Cheap SACD Player (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i see no one has posted to this in a while.

as i was about to make a " hey whats the least expensice SACD player " thread i thought i'd put it here instead.

so what is a non-expensive sacd only player that i should look at.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, when you say SACD-only player, I assume you mean one that doesn't play DVDs. All SACD players play CDs. While you are clarifying that point, please define "non-expensive". $200? $500? The only sub-$300 non-DVD SACD player available is the Sony SCD-CE775 carousel changer. It has been discontinued, but you still might be able to find one for $180-200. Check Best Buy, Circuit City, OneCall, J&R Music World, www.hifi.com , and Music Direct (www.amusicdirect.com).

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Camp,

I had the CE775 and upgraded to the C555es. The CE775 is d*amn good especially on SACD. I think you might be hard pressed to tell the difference except possibly in the bass. For your system with the Anthem the CE775 makes alot of sense. Use digital out for CD and 6 channel ext analog in for SACD. If I could get the 222ES (which I think is possible now) for another $100 or so I would be tempted to do it just for the slightly better ES build and power supply(lower noise floor?), and the warranty. I think the review of the CE775 said it was good to 17bits on SACD where the 555 was good to about 18 bits.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
FYI, there is a favorable review of the ce775 in the most recent The Absolute Sound. They also review one of the cheaper single disk dvd/sacd players from Sony.

-rob

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Keith's opinion that the CEs are noticeably worse sounding than ES for redbook playback, but I could not tell the difference between them for SACD. I had them both for a couple of weeks each. IMO, if you really don't plan on using it for redbook, the CE is the better deal.

If anyone hears anything about the 47A mods, let us know! I would be quite interested.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yes i meant cd or sacd only no need for another dvd player have 4 already including a recent purchase of an rp-91.

i was definitely hoping for under $200 or very close to that.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, if your limit is $200, go for the 'CE775. You should be able to find one for $180.

HomerG

Auditioning
Speaking of this CD player, I just purchased it and it sounds great on 5.1. I'm a newbie, so I can't explain in too much detail how or why, it just does. I still have to take the time to see how much of a difference it makes with 2 Channel vs. an "original" CD recording.
Anyway, does anyone have any insight as to why there's no on/off button on the remote? Not to sound too lazy :D , but everything else I can turn off by remote, except for this component. It's a little annoying.
Thanks

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Homer, My 222ES does not have a remote on/off either. I have plugged it into my receiver and when I turn off my receiver, My cd player goes off.

HomerG

Auditioning
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I should have thought of that. If my head wasn't attached...
Thanks, Dan.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Homer, I don't know why this is, but few CD players can be turned on or off via the remote. Some megachangers out there are exceptions.

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
Circuit City sells them for $200 but you will get a $20 gift certificate. Deal ends on August 10 though. I just saw it yesterday. I will pick mine up today :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Luke, by "them", I assume you mean the 'CE775. The 'CE775 is tough to find now, so if you can get one at Circuit City for $180, you have done well. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
Yup I got mine on the 8th. Just got home and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. However, I plugged it in at my parents' and found out the disc tray was a bit louder than my old Sony CD changer. When there's no disc in the machine, it will try to find CDs. If it doesn't find anything (no disc message), there's an annoyingly loud sound from the inside (after the machine is done with disc searching). Could anyone who has the same player check if his/her player does the same? I don't really want to return this SACD player!

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Luke,

I recently purchased a SCD-CE775 from Good Guys... same annoying loud mechanism as you described. I think it's just gonna be something we live with. Haven't done a whole lot of serious listening, but what I've heard so far on SACD is very satisfying.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Amazing what a little clock jitter will do, ehhh?
Matthew,
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, but I am glad you made it.
Whenever I discuss the issue, people claim I can't hear jitter and want a double blind test conducted. :crazy:
We hear this stuff in the studio on a regular basis. It is amazing what a good transport can do for you!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well my local best buy has these "in the warehouse" so i am tempted to get one.

$199.99.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Luke, all the Sony SACD changers make noises upon power-up. For example, they all make a "clunk" sound when they are turned on. Then after the tray rotates a full cycle in search of discs, the players make another clunk sound before displaying "No Disc". I have used the 'CE775, 'C222ES, and 'C555ES, and the first two changers are noticeably louder than the 'C555ES. Still, the 'C555ES is a bit noisy. The noises are my only complaint with the 'C555ES. It is noisier than the Sony CDP-CA80ES carousel CD changer I had before it. It's a shame. The 'C555ES is significantly better than the 'CA80ES in terms of build and sound quality, but I wish the 'C555ES were as quiet as the 'CA80ES.

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
The noises "hurt" my ears :). I should wear earplugs next time when I power up the player or change discs. Naming disc function is so lame. Only 15 characters? Give me a break! You have the MD you know what I mean right Keith? By the way, I just picked up 2 discs from BB yesterday (more to come from elusivedisc.com though): Let's Get Lost-Songs of Jimmy [SACD] and Mariah Carey #1's. All I can say is it's different (in a good way) compared to my old CD changer.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Naming disc function is so lame. Only 15 characters?
Wow, 15? I only get 14. My favorite music on SACD now includes Bly Joel, Mzart Smphnies, Aldimeola, and Wthr Rprt!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

P.S. If one turns off one's CD player via the receiver's remote, what would happen if one, uh, forgets to stop the CD player before hitting the remote's off button?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks