1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap Android phone from ZTE

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Dennis Nicholls, Apr 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 3 Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    Being single and retired, I don't have a wife and I don't have a boss, so I've never had a cellphone. But I have reluctantly decided to get one for emergency "car breakdown" reasons. I looked for a pay by the minute non-contract phone.

Fred Meyer (Kroger) here had this phone for $17.99 close out price.

https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/phones/tf-zte-zfive-c-lte

It's the ZTE Zfive C, a 4G LTE phone running Android 7.1.1. Built around the Snapdragon 210 chipset. I added a $7 32 GB flash card to bump the storage to 48 GB. Every feature on the phone seems to work: LTE, Wi-fi, front and back cameras, FM radio, etc. I have not found GPS in this phone. It even has features that the present iPhones lack, to wit an analog audio jack and a user-replaceable battery. Mine had been on the shelf so long that there were 6 or 7 Android upgrades available that I had to download one at a time.

Going from no phone to Android is a big learning gap, so I will take some time getting comfortable with all the features. But I've only got $25 total invested in the hardware at this point.

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    OK I have found that GPS on Android is app driven. The Google Maps app quickly got a GPS fix on where I'm located.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Welcome to the world of smart phones, Dennis. I am retired, too, but still find such a device invaluable. We are away from home a lot, so I can keep in touch with family and friends, access the Internet (I am typing this reply on my phone), use Google maps for navigation and traffic, check email, do my banking, get sports score updates, stream videos and music, etc.