What's new

Cheap Android phone from ZTE (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Being single and retired, I don't have a wife and I don't have a boss, so I've never had a cellphone. But I have reluctantly decided to get one for emergency "car breakdown" reasons. I looked for a pay by the minute non-contract phone.

Fred Meyer (Kroger) here had this phone for $17.99 close out price.

https://shop.tracfone.com/shop/en/tracfonestore/phones/tf-zte-zfive-c-lte

It's the ZTE Zfive C, a 4G LTE phone running Android 7.1.1. Built around the Snapdragon 210 chipset. I added a $7 32 GB flash card to bump the storage to 48 GB. Every feature on the phone seems to work: LTE, Wi-fi, front and back cameras, FM radio, etc. I have not found GPS in this phone. It even has features that the present iPhones lack, to wit an analog audio jack and a user-replaceable battery. Mine had been on the shelf so long that there were 6 or 7 Android upgrades available that I had to download one at a time.

Going from no phone to Android is a big learning gap, so I will take some time getting comfortable with all the features. But I've only got $25 total invested in the hardware at this point.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
OK I have found that GPS on Android is app driven. The Google Maps app quickly got a GPS fix on where I'm located.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Welcome to the world of smart phones, Dennis. I am retired, too, but still find such a device invaluable. We are away from home a lot, so I can keep in touch with family and friends, access the Internet (I am typing this reply on my phone), use Google maps for navigation and traffic, check email, do my banking, get sports score updates, stream videos and music, etc.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I'm still using this phone as my emergency phone. Tracfone has a $99 deal with 400 minutes that doesn't expire for an entire year. That's really cheap for having an always-ready emergency phone. It's about $8/month for as much as I use it.

LTE gives longer distance reception so I'm not looking at getting a gen 5 phone anytime soon. Reception in the Idaho back country is spotty at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks