What's new

Center Channel Stand (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I was wondering if anyone had their center channel placed on a stand in front of their equipment. I have had mine (Paradigm cc-370) on top of the television, but due to circumstances outside of my control, i.e. the WAF, I will need to find another solution. We have a very nice, dark cherry entertainment center that will not accomodate a center speaker. So, I've thought about getting a stand for it (Wood Technologies 18" stand, angled slightly upward; $40), and then just simply moving it out of the way and placing it to either side of the entertainment cabinet when not in use. I suppose it would be about 8-12 inches away from the cabinet when in use. I have my trusty SPL meter for calibration, but was just curious if anyone else could comment on this idea - especially if you currently have one in use.
Thanks!

morrisjones

Agent
I've been looking everywhere for exactly what you're describing here. I don't have the problem of an entertainment center that won't take the speaker, but just the problem of getting the center speaker off the floor under the table that supports the TV.
Right now my center is resting on top of the subwoofer. That can't be good. :frowning: So I've been looking everywhere for a suitable stand for the center speaker.
But that's not what you wanted to hear. :)
I think the effect is going to change according to how closely you sit to the TV. If you're right on top of it, it's going to be annoying to have the speaker in front of the TV by a bit. If you're back a little, you probably won't be able to tell.
My wife and I are constantly doing things like hiding the center speaker behind a food tray while we dine. But at times like that, having perfect sound from the center channel isn't highest priority. :)
If it doesn't work out for you, a saw to the front of the entertainment center could put a speaker hole there ...
Or maybe not. :)
Mojo

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
A saw to the entertainment center may be a possible solution, but it would also get me divorce papers! lol By the way, if you decide to go for a center channel stand, check out wild west electronics (online). They have the wood technologies center channel stands for very reasonable prices. There are three sizes, I believe - 18", 20" and 24". Don't quote me on that, though. It looks like it would work out pretty well, and I can't imagine it would sound any worse than being on top of the sub :)

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
I moved my Def Tech CLR 1000 from the top of my Toshiba TW40X81 to a space on a Sanus Euro stand supporting the set. After a few months, I tried placing the CLR 1000 on a stand in front of the Toshiba just below the screen and was amazed by the improvement. It was like having a new speaker. The tweeter is now near ear level and about the same height as my those in my Def Tech BP10 front speakers.

Regards,
Mike

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Link Removed
... although the new setup will have the equipment rack at the front and the centre on top of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks