What's new

Celine Dion kills iMacs! [Actually it's CD Copy Protection, But That's Not As Funny]] (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Why would the Star Wars soundtrack have encryption? Those that would want it are probably not the types to use peer-to-peer to download it.
really? geeky sci-fi fans (myself included) aren't the type to download mp3s? i would think they are the exact type to do so.

DJ

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If a copy protected CD actually causes damage to a computer to the point where it won't boot without sending it out for repair, I don't know who's more at fault, Sony (for developing such a scheme), or Apple (whose computers react to a corrupted CD by self destructing). I tend to lean toward Apple in this case, UNLESS it's proved that the protected CDs actually install software on iMacs that deliberately make the machines unbootable (e.g. a Trojan Horse). If that's the case, someone at Sony should be going to jail.
I doubt there's a Trojan Horse on these discs, as this would open Sony (or Universal, or anyone else pushing such discs) to a big lawsuit. More likely it's a bug in the iMac's OS or firmware that causes it to commit suicide when it tries to read one of these corrupted CDs. I would expect that Apple would release a patch that, even if it doesn't let the corrupted discs play, at least would cause the machine to gracefully handle the error instead of suffering a stroke.
In summary, the problem here is two fold. The record companies shouldn't be foisting corrupted (e.g. DEFECTIVE) CDs on their customers. And Apple's products should handle corrupted CDs more gracefully; after all, what if someone burns a CD that turns out corrupted due to a buffer underrun or something and then it crashes their iMac? Speaking as a programmer, that's poor error handling; even Microsoft isn't that bad... :)
KJP

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
As for comparing a DVD of a film to a CD, you are missing the fact that a film recoups its money from theatrical showings, with home video being a secondary market.
Don't forget all the other anvenues of revenue that music companies pursue. There is all the merchandising (Britney T-shirt anyone), concerts, videos, et all. They are in no way different than the movie industry, except that they are interfering even more in the art form they 'support'.
BTW, thread title of the year. :D

Dean M

Agent
really? geeky sci-fi fans (myself included) aren't the type to download mp3s? i would think they are the exact type to do so.
My sci-fi friends are not interested in orchestrated soundtracks. Besides, the sci-fi geeks are the ones that can easily 'bypass'the encryption. From what I have heard of the soundtrack, I don't know who would be interested!:)

Ali B

Second Unit
I fail to see how this is Apple's fault at all. They make a CD drive that complies to all the CD specifications laid out by Philips. Sony make a 'CD' that breaks these specifications, presumably in an attempt to stop people copying them. As far as I can see then the ball is firmly in the court of Sony and any conscumer who chooses to ignore a sticker saying 'Don't put this in your PC or Mac'.

On a side issue though, they seem to have rather shot themselves in the foot here, especially as so many CD players (be they compatibles like DVD players or just picky standard CD players) won't play the discs at all. Where is the incentive for the consumer to buy a disc that is marked as 'probably not going to work with your equipment'? I think record stores should stop putting such discs in a section marked CDs - especially as it would seem to be somewhat illegal under the trade descriptions act (they are endorsing a product as something it is not - it is in fact a cheap copy of a CD rather than the real thing).

ali

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I just picked up a used copy of Celine's cd and I had no problems copying it for my discman (which seems to scratch most of my cds...and it's a Sony!) on my pc, which has a Sony cdrw burner.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I just picked up a used copy of Celine's cd and I had no problems copying it for my discman (which seems to scratch most of my cds...and it's a Sony!) on my pc, which has a Sony cdrw burner.
The protected Celine discs are distributed primarily in the UK. The US/Canada copies aren't protected.

Angsty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
So, if SONY's new copy-protected 'music discs' don't comply with the CD specification, they should not call themselves a "CD".
Sony, find another name for your 'music disc' product, and a different section in the record store, because I will not be buying non-compatible products.
On the other hand, we are talking of less Celine Dion in the world..... :D
Angela

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Is it also Sony's fault for not making DVD players fully compatible with the Monty Python And The Holy Grail: SE disc? I fail to see how hardware companies are responsible for non-compliant software, especially if the software doesn't explicitly warn you that it may/will not work with certain hardware.
At any rate, Apple has posted a fix in its Knowledge Base here:
Link Removed

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The US version of Celine Dion A New Day Has Come has no copy protection. I have this CD, and it plays absolutely fine on my computers at home and work (Dell PCs). Furthermore, I was able to copy the title track to my hard drive at home without consequence (for personal use). Those of you who live overseas where your domestic copy of the Dion CD has copy protection should order a copy from Amazon in the US. Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...214396-5435803
By the way, Amazon's UK web site clearly states that the CD has copy protection. Here is the statement:
This CD includes anti-copying technology that is intended to prevent unlawful copying of the CD with a PC. This may affect playability of the CD on certain computer devices such as PCs and gaming platforms.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I am wrong about all copies of A New Day Has Come lacking copy protection. In reading customer reviews for the album on Amazon's US web site, one person in Omaha, NE, says that his or her disc has copy protection. Also, someone from Canada reported the same problem.

Has anyone in the US seen a copy-protected version of the Dion CD in stores? If so, is there a label stating it is copy-protected or did you find out the hard way?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks Rob - one visit to Play coming right up. I'd originally considered picking up a US version via a mate in California, who could check it and if necessary take it back for me, but if Play's ones are ok I'll get it from there.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I appreciate the desire to blame the copy protection format for this debacle - I despise any copy protection which compromises the quality of the source. But I really think the fault lies with Apple on this one.
Do you really think it's ever been good engineering to make the eject button effectively a software only solution, at least as far as user interface goes? Look at all the workarounds they suggest you try before taking the computer in for servicing. And they'll charge you for working around their stupid design flaw. Apparently it was the consumers fault for putting a non-compact disc in a compact disc drive (where it fits perfectly). Apple have no idea.
Now, get rid of copy protection, and put a damn eject button on the media players, Apple!
Martin.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It sounds like Apple's drives DO have the "paperclip hole" for emergency extraction of "stuck" media. Not surprizing since I'm sure that they just buy them from a standard vendor. If I owned an Apple computer I'd drill a hole in the external case so I could access that paperclip hole. It's not clear to me why Apple thinks it looks better to cover the hole with the plastic case.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Interesting...
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-801582.html
And so is this...
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,93904,00.asp
I don't condone piracy, but it'll be pretty soon that some hacker(s) defeat it with some simple .dll file or something.
Question: Aside from the CDs not working in a PC/Mac CD drive, can you still "rip" it via a digital in/out? In otherwords, playing the CD on a CD player, and then piping the optical/coaxial digital out into a computer and recording it the "hard way"?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
www.chip.de seems to have found a solution to bypass latest AudioCD copy protection. Apparently the new data systems can be bypassed by drawing a ring around the CD using a permanent marker. The bad data that copyrights the CD is stored along the outer edge--and blacking the final track appears to completely remove the restriction.
:laugh: Well, that didn't take long. I don't condone copying music for illegal distribution, but the record labels will get what they deserve for sticking the consumer with B.S. copy protection. People will either find a way around the copy protection or will boycott copy-protected CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks