Anyone have the Celine Dion *A New Day Has Come* CD? Compatibility issues?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Apr 27, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I am wondering if anyone who has the Celine Dion A New Day Has Come CD, which has copy protection, has experienced problems playing it in computer CD-ROM drives or DVD players. What about CD players? Is Sony's copy protection scheme wreaking havoc with playback of this disc? I saw the CD in a couple stores last night and was surprised to see no mention of it having copy protection. The second Fast and Furious soundtrack CD clearly states that it has copy protection.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

By the way, in perusing the Billboard Top 200, it appears that Sony's copy protection is not affecting sales of the Celine Dion CD. It is currently 3rd on the chart, though it was 2nd last week and did peak at the top spot at some point in the four weeks it has been on the charts. Still, 3rd is pretty good. [​IMG]

3. Henry C

Henry C Stunt Coordinator

I had heard reports about the problems playing this CD on computer CD-ROMs. However, I personally tested my copy and did not have any problems. But I also heard that this only applies to a select number of CDs and not all of them have the copy protection scheme applied. It seems counter productive to have this only on a select number of CDs, but who know what the execs at the music labels are thinking anyways. If they would just lower the retail costs of the CD's, there would definitely be less piracy. But that's just my personal opinion.

Henry

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Henry, copy protection is bad enough, but it would suck if Sony were only using copy protection on some copies of the Celine Dion CD without marking which copies had it. The copies of the CD I have seen at Barnes & Noble and Tower Records said nothing about copy protection, but from what I have read, the record labels are not necessarily including a statement on the package saying that a disc is copy protected.

5. Henry C

Henry C Stunt Coordinator

I heard the reasoning was that if there were problems related to playing the discs in various CD players, it could not be definitvely traced to the copy protection. This way, there could be doubts as to the cause. But I cannot really remember where I read that, so take my information with a grain of salt.

Is there a marking on the cover or something that would indicate if the copy protection was in place?

Henry

6. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...sers&printer=1

7. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I think the copy protected Dion CDs are only sold in Europe. US & Canada are getting the unprotected version. I do know my copy isn't protected.

KJP

8. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

Worst case scenario would be that the CD plays flawlessly & you're stuck listening to Celine Dion. [​IMG]

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The music discs sold in Europe that have the copy protection we're talking about do not have the "Compact Disc" logo on them (since they're not following the CD standard), and they are marked "Not compatible with PC/Mac". I assume that if music discs like these will be sold here they will have similar differences in packaging to separate them from CD's.

/Mike

10. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

So nobody is going to own up to having this cd ?

Who listens to this crap ?

(answer) millions of people.

Yikes !

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin said:

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Let's play nice boys and girls. If you have nothing to add to the conversation besides letting people know you dislike the artist in question-- I would suggest there are dozens of other threads you might offer productive information within...

-Vince

13. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    I posted in another thread regarding the SACD version of this CD that my (regular) copy plays fine on my computer. I copied a couple tracks to my hard drive in order to make a compilation CD (for my own personal use, of course).

Cheers!

Harry

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Harrison, I missed your other post. I picked up the CD and SACD of A New Day Has Come today, and the CD plays just fine in my car CD player and my computer CD drives at home and at work. I just copied "A New Day Has Come (Ric Wake Radio Remix)" from the CD to my hard drive (for personal use only) and am playing it as I type. No copy protection here! [​IMG]

15. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    KeithH:

I really like this new album of hers as motherhood seems to have softened her approach to songs. She's not oversinging as much, but when she does let loose (The Greatest Reward), it's terrific. I'm still having a hard time adjusting to the Spanish version of "L'Amour Existe Encore", (Aun Existe Amor), as I am soooooo used to the original, and IMHO, superior French version.

Cheers!

Harry

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Harrison, I too like the album and agree with you. The title track is especially good. This album must be a digital recording because I can hear the PCM grit in her voice on the CD when played on my better, more revealing system. The SACD is better, but the grit is still there.

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

All,
    The European version of Celine Dion's A New Day Has Come. Amazon's UK web site has the following disclaimer:

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Keith,

This copy protection stuff gives me the willies.

A bit off subject, but does anyone know how good the SACD is? My wife is a fan :b and I need to include more of her favorites in my collection...

Lee

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, I have the new Celine Dion SACD and CD. The CD particularly shows the PCM "grit" in Dion's voice, but the SACD is a bit smoother. The grit is still there on the SACD, but less so.