What's new

Ceiling vs. Back Corner LR Surround placement in 6.1 System (1 Viewer)

Jim_Rogers

Auditioning
I'm building a large, vaulted family room addition (~19 x 20) with a 65" RPTV and fairly high quality speakers/components (Denon 5800, 7 speakers tbd (~ $4K, I currently like the Paradigm Reference system) and have a bit of a dilemma. I was hoping to be able to use an "optimal" speaker placement (viz. timbre matched front towers, center, dipoles to the sides of the listeners and direct radiators behind, but unfortunately the left wall is "filled" with windows, and the right has an open entry into the rest of the house.
I plan to use in-walls about 6' apart at 6' high 8' behind the listening position for rear surrounds.
My question is this - which is an acoustically better solution?
Place dipoles (or directs?) on the ceiling to the left and right of the listening position (the ceiling peaks at 11' 8" and speakers would be at about 11' above the listening position - presumably angled with the ceiling slightly toward the front of the room)
OR
Place directs on the left and right walls near the back corners of the room very near the ceiling (within 6") do to the design of the right wall.
If dipoles on the ceiling are preferred (which is my uneducated guess), do you think the Paradigm ADP design would work well in this configuration? I want great sound of course, but also nice looking towers up front, and white in-walls and surrounds. Paradigm Reference seems to meet all of these criteria, but I'm worried about placement.
Any advice on speaker placement and/or speaker systems is very much appreciated.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Stay away from in-ceilings if you can. It will mess up the surround soundstage.
I would go with timbrally matched direct radiating Paradigms References for the center back speakers.
Dan
------------------
Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

Jim_Rogers

Auditioning
Thanks for the quick reply Dan! Just to clarify, you'd recommend having the left/right surrounds in the back corners on the side walls, along with the center surrounds directly behind the listening position; rather than anything in the ceiling?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If there is absolutely no way to move the side left/right surround speakers more towards the main listening area on the side walls, then that's what I'd do.
If you have room, I'd get matching bookshelves and hook them onto swivel ball speaker wall mounts and position them down towards the listeners if they must be up high.
Dan
------------------
Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks