What's new

CEDIA 2002 News (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
I would be interested in reports from those who attended the show. I am interested in hearing what the Paradigm reps had to say.
Thanks!
James

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Why are reports from audio shows so hard to come by? Don't these companies have good PR support? What about all the HTF guys who are there? -none have a digital camera and a laptop?

george king

Supporting Actor
Chip,

I poked around, and did not see anything from Sony regarding SACD players. Was there a specific page?

Also, the Adcom 880 preamp looked interesting, especially since it supposedly has 2 5.1 inputs.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
That Adcom looks cool to me too. The last one they came out the 860, was behind the times when it was released. I wonder if they'll be on the ball with this one. They always used to get good reviews on their stuff, but why has every dealer (at least in my neck o' the woods) dropped them and you never hear about them in the review mags anymore? I was always told the dealers could never get product....

Chip E

Screenwriter
Sorry George,
I just saw Sony in the header of the days events. I didn't really poke around there much myself. I figured it might be interesting nonetheless. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The soundstagelive.com link shows a Sony home-theater-in-a-box with SACD capability. That's it. :frowning:

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
The closest to an announcement was the DVP-NS999ES (or whatever the heck the model # really is)....

Yamaha and Onkyo showed their universal players -- I hear that Teac did as well, but didn't make it by their booth.

Philips was talking about the DV-963SA, but it won't be out until the CES 2003 timeframe I'm sorry to say.

Regards,

george king

Supporting Actor
John,

Do you know what is up with Sony? They discontinued some popular stand alone SACD players with apparently no annoucements for new players.

In your professional opinion, do you think Sony is leaving the standalone catagory for DVD/SACD players?

Thanks a bunch

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
George,
I'm not sure that my "professional opinion" is authoritative but by all appearances they have definitely left the low end SACD only player market.
I have not heard that the XA-777ES player has been discontinued, nor have I heard that there are drastic price reductions available (which usually signals it has been discontinued).
From a business point of view, the strategy makes perfect sense to me..... At entry level prices, the standalone CD player market is virtually non-existent with low end DVD-V players capturing that market. Buy DVD-V, get CD for free ;)
To compete in that space, they need a DVD-V/SACD player, and I think the model # is DVP-NS755P for their least expensive current model SACD players. MSRP is US$249 and buys you DVD-V with Progressive Scan and multi-channel SACD.
That's just my opinion, but I think I have some information which explains why I have reached my conclusion.
Regards,

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
John,

By any chance, did you receive any info from the Anthem booth at the CEDIA show regarding the Channel 5 amplifier? I think companies sometimes give out preliminary spec/info sheets on upcoming products, etc. Were any such sheets given out by Anthem regarding the Channel 5 or Anthem Director? If so, is there any way I could get a copy of it since I did not make it to the show? If not, is there any other way to possible get more info/specs that were shared with attendees regarding the new amp and preamp, even if just preliminary specs? Wish I could have made the show, but trying to get any info on the new Anthem/Paradigm stuff.
Thanks.

george king

Supporting Actor
John,

Thank you for the reply (and your professional opinion means something to me, at the least). I just remember reading that the 222ES (or maybe the 555ES) unit was being discontinued. As a result, all that is left is a super expensive SACD player. Maybe I am being picky, but I do not want a combo player: I have a DVD player to play DVDs and I want a CD/SACD player to play them.

Thanks a bunch.

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John.
So would you say it is as large and heavy as the BAT VK-6200 that you have reviewed--or maybe larger?
I think the BAT VK-6200 is about 10 inches high and 180 lbs for five channels.
Thanks again.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks