What's new

CDs that help sell gear. Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all. I'm fairly new to the forum and was hoping I could get some advice. I've got a guy coming over in about a week to demo my old Yamaha Rx-v990 and DDP-1. I really want him to buy it. I'm going run it with my Polk RT1000 speakers. He's mostly a movie guy, so I've got lots of good DD demo material picked out, and I always thought this was a pretty good set up for movies.

My question for the music forum is, does anyone have some good advice on CDs that would make good demo material with this setup. I'm hoping to sell him my Yamaha CD player as well, but I was never overly impressed with how the Yamaha receiver handled music. Any suggestions on specific discs or even just general generes of music that do well on this system would be greatly appreciated.

Did I mention that I REALLY want to sell this gear?! All proceeds go to paying off Hi-Fi Buys debt.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
If it's a music cd you want to show off your system for , alot of stores used to use Steely Dan cds like Aja because of it's superior pristine studio work. Others may like some classical cds too.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Never heard of Flim and the BB's but I do see that a reviewer on Amazon says Vintage Bb's is a great test your speakers kind of CD. I'll have to check them out.

Steely Dan is another good suggestion. The aforementioned reviewer brings them up in his review as well.

Unfortunately, I don't know what music he likes. I know I have been impressed by some systems even when they weren't playing "my kind" of music. I bought my Marantz after hearing of all things a Kenny Loggins DVD! :b Sonically, it was a good recording.

Thanks again. These were just the kind of ideas I was looking for.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i would recommend the guy bring music he's familiar with. that's really the best way to audition gear.

just about any sting cd will work - i find his recordings so pristine they're near to the point of being sterile.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Yeah. For selling gear, the only thing that will work is stuff that the potential customer would like. If you are concerned about concealing possible musical flaws, my recommendation would be to avoid acoustic jazz vocal stuff that tends to make such flaws apparent.

Regards,

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
TED I don't know why I didn't think of asking him to bring some of his own music. I'll do that and have a few of the suggested discs on hand as well. I have Sting's Nothing like the Sun , but it's the DTS and of course won't work with the gear I'm selling.

Ken Thanks for the heads up about acoustic jazz vocals. I have agood bit of this type of music, but for this demo, I'll just leave Diana Krall in the Jewel case.

Once again Thanks.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Dave Matthews always seems to be a good choice. I've seen his CD's in a lot of demo equipment at the stores.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Seal, first album (with crazy) track 2. "Deep Water".
Listen to the whole track, especially when the percussion comes in.

Babylon Sisters (hell, any Steely Dan)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks