What's new

CDP-CX455 Sony CD MP3 question (1 Viewer)

Bob Hickman

Agent
Hey Gang,

I am planning on getting the CX455. Since MP3's play only out the analog out, I plan on connecting both the optical and analog to the CD in on my DA777ES receiver. Since it can auto select the source, has anyone tested to see if it really will auto switch.

Does not make much sense to me, if I have both CD's and MP3's on shuffel, to have to manually switch my receiver.

I have heard that the CX455 only mutes the optical, so the receiver cannot auto switch.

I hope someone has tried the above setup, and can confirm just how it works.

Thanks
Bob

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I can absolutely confirm that the receiver will not auto-switch.

I have the 455 connected to a new Sony STR-DA4ES receiver, and previously had it connected to a Sony STR-DB830. Neither would auto-switch. I ended up using two different inputs on the receiver: one (re)named to "400 CD" and one to "MP3 CD". The former used a digital connection; the latter analog only.

The reason that the receiver will not auto-switch is that the 455 does not turn off the optical output when playing MP3's. Instead it just sends no data through it, even though it is still 'lit'. My SCD-CX755 Super Audio CD changer, on the other hand, will turn off the optical output when playing a SACD, and turn it on when playing a normal CD. So auto-switching (analog for SACD & digital for CD) works just great with it.

The 455 has numerous quirks. This is just one of them. Did you ever notice that it does not respond to the system-off command from the remote? It also will not respond to a discrete on or off command for a CD player (which are not availble on the original remote, but programmable into universal remotes like the pronto, etc.). This makes it impossible to reliably turn the unit on or off, because you can only use the 'power' button. You don't know for sure whether the player caught the signal (if in another room) and you can't setup a macro in your remote to turn off all components, because if it's already off and you hit 'power', it turns on! Cripes.

Bob Hickman

Agent
Aaron,

So I assume when you play a MP3 disk, you have to switch your Receiver's input? That means that your cannot mix shuffle MP3's and CD's right?

Also, how long is the average quite time between songs when you set the player to shuffle? I am trying to decide if I need to get two units, and then get Nirvis Slink-e unit with their PC software to fully control the units.

Thanks

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Related question, hope you guys can help...

My Sony CD changer is connected optically to my Sony receiver. When it was previously connected using the analog output, the receiver would automatically go into CD mode when the CD player began playing a disc. Is there any way to have the receiver now default to the optical input I've chosen when a CD plays?

Thanks...

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Also, how long is the average quite time between songs when you set the player to shuffle? I am trying to decide if I need to get two units, and then get Nirvis Slink-e unit with their PC software to fully control the units.
The 455 is very slow at changing discs, especially if the new disc is a MP3 disc. It has to parse the filesystem to find all the folders and MP3 files before it will begin to play. It could take a long time (30 seconds or so?). Shuffle is definitely smoother with two units, since the next song will always play from the idle player. There is no delay, and you can crossfade also if you want to. Note that you don't really need the Nirvis Slink-e to use two units, but if you want to seemlessly integrate three or more, you need some kind of computer based solution. Two units can be connected together by themselves, with one being the 'slave' to the 'master'.

Bob Hickman

Agent
Angelo,

Not sure about your exact receiver, but I know on my 7ES you can link(pick) either the optical or analog to the CD input. Some even outo select depending on the signal. It sounds to me like you have the default for the CD input set to analog. Flip through your setup manual, it should be there somewhere.

Bob

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
My Sony CD changer is connected optically to my Sony receiver. When it was previously connected using the analog output, the receiver would automatically go into CD mode when the CD player began playing a disc. Is there any way to have the receiver now default to the optical input I've chosen when a CD plays?
Possibly. Assuming you are using a Sony receiver, then you can have it auto-switch. The caveat is that you cannot choose the 'source' that it switches to. It also has nothing to do with whether you use an analog or digital connection.

There are several essential steps to take to enable this functionality:
  1. First, make sure that the receiver and CD changer are connected together with an s-link (control-A1II) cable. This is simply a cord with a mono headphone plug on each end. Plug it into the control-A1II ports of receiver and of the CD changer.
    Turn on "Auto Function" in the receiver. In the setup menu somewhere, you will find an item called something like "Auto Function". Turn this on.
    Set your CD changer to Command Mode CD1 or CD2. You may have a switch on the back or front of the CD changer, or you may have a menu item (the 455 has a menu item, most older models had a switch at the back).
    Make sure that you are using the "CD" input of the receiver for the CD changer, if you are using command mode "CD1" for your CD changer. If you are using "CD2", you need to use the "video 2" input source. If you use "CD3", then the receiver won't auto-switch at all. Unfortunately, many Sony receivers do not have a digital input for the "CD" or "Video2" input!
So, if you have no optical input for the CD input, but are instead using "TV/SAT" or "DVD" or something (because they have an optical input), then you are basically out of luck. In this case, you will probably want to turn "Auto Function" off in your receiver's setup menu, and take care of it yourself.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
So, if you have no optical input for the CD input, but are instead using "TV/SAT" or "DVD" or something (because they have an optical input), then you are basically out of luck.
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm out of luck. My DVD player is optically connected to the optical DVD input on the receiver, but since there is no optical CD input I'm using the optical MD input instead (as well as the S-link connection).

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I am using the CX455 with a STR-DB940 but I use 'Analog Direct' for both normal CDs and MP3 CDs because I don't
like the extra 'Bass Boost' which gets turned on when
using most other soundfields (2CH, AFD, etc).
Anyone know any way to turn it off??

Also, I have problem with some CD-TEXT CDs which used
to be read correctly with my old CDP-CX355 but the CX455
just ignores the title and tracks for most CDs!

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I am using the CX455 with a STR-DB940 but I use 'Analog Direct' for both normal CDs and MP3 CDs because I don't
like the extra 'Bass Boost' which gets turned on when
using most other soundfields (2CH, AFD, etc).
Anyone know any way to turn it off??

Also, I have problem with some CD-TEXT CDs which used
to be read correctly with my old CDP-CX355 but the CX455
just ignores the title and tracks for most CDs!
If you are getting an extra 'bass boost' as you put it, there are two possible causes that I can think of:
1. You have the EQ and/or the Bass Boost enabled. Disable them. Either of these will be bypassed in Analog direct mode, as you have observed.
2. You have a subwoofer connected, and have it set up incorrectly. In most soundfields other than analog direct, the Sony receiver will enable the subwoofer (you can confirm this immediately by looking at the receiver's display... the subwoofer icon will be lit up). Either calibrate the sub level and crossovers properly or set subwoofer to No in the setup menu.

As for CD-Text, I have never had any problems with CD-Text in my 455. It works great.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
My DVD player is optically connected to the optical DVD input on the receiver, but since there is no optical CD input I'm using the optical MD input instead
That's what I was afraid of. Unless you have an ES receiver, you probably cannot re-assign the digital inputs. The only alternative that I can think of is to set up a macro in your remote control, if you use a universal remote capable of macros on any key. Set a macro on the play button for the CD, having it 1st set the receiver to MD input, then 2nd press play on the CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks