What's new

CD to get a makeover.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Read this somewhere a week or two ago.

According to some executives, the CD Has not been beaten yet. They say the technology hasn't had an upgrade in over twenty years, so it's time to impliment one. What's the new upgrade? A Snazzy new disc holder.

I kid you not. If I could refind the article, I'd post a link.
It reminded me of something, and now I remember what it was.

When Lisa Simpson invented Lisa Lionheart. The Malibu Stacey people re released their doll with... a brand new hat!

Edit - Saw the title mistake too late. Please change the j, to a k :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Wait wait wait! So now they're thinking that the decline in CD sales is because of the Jewel Case???? Are they serious?

Neil nailed it...they think the consumer is gonna be like "A NEW HAT!!!!" :laugh:

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I thought the DVD-A/SACD cases were pretty snazzy myself-- almost as they would prove to be more durable. But I'd rather buy a jewel-cased sacd than a cd in a new case.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
So, premium artists get Super Jewel Boxes (which I believe is what they call SACD cases), and older albums are getting what sounds like cardboard slipcases. So now instead of a nice looking CD rack where everything is evenly sized I'm going to have all sorts of sizes of cases in there, plus the occasional impossible to read/see disc because it's in a 'thin cardboard' sleeve.

They've recently started to overhaul paperback books too, calling the new slightly taller versions "premium". The only difference is that the spaces between the lines a bigger to make up for the size, and they charge you $2 more for it. I read that the publishers feel the new size is a success due to sales, but how can they guage that when they don't offer the standard size? So, like my future CD rack, my paperback bookshelf has all these books the same size, and the occasional giant mixed in. And if you look at Amazon's message boards for one of these oversized books you will see how much they're hated.

-paul

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I never liked jewel cases, they break very easily. What ever happened to the lowered prices that were supposed to happen a couple years ago?? PRICES are what's to blame for any shortage of CD sales!

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
PRICES are what's to blame for any shortage of CD sales!
>>>

That, and every song I hear on the radio seems to be some sappy love song, or a love song in general. Where are all the comedy songs? The rock songs? Dance songs with a beat? Am I just listening to the wrong stations?

Thank gods for XM and Chrome/Cinemagic.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
While I never cared for them either, you can replace them for like $0.01.

Why not go the DVD route and make them out of plastic (like DVD cases)? Just keep them the same size as CD jewel cases. You know, like those AOL discs you get in the mail.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
thats America for ya-change the cover but not the content.
Idiots.
where that ROTFL icon?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind the cardboard cases if they're like those really neat Japanese 'mini LP' sleeves, but something tells me that's not what they had in mind ...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Even if the US labels followed the UK's lead and introduced budget lines, what do you want to bet that retailers would charge full price and pocket the difference?

Anyway, I like that they are trying to offer a physical alternative to downloads at the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.