What's new

CD-player Analog direct feed to Power Amp? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I have read of this before but really spent no time paying much attention to it. Audio purist crap you know. Well thats how I ooked at way back then...

I have never attempted this before, and was wondering the possible problems if any that might/could occur?

Running the Analog R & L RCA's directly into one of my 502 power heads. No controls what so ever except power switch on the Amp, but a variable volume control on the Analog outs from the Yamaha CD player.

Have not done it yet, and need to pull the manuals to see the output voltage on the Yamaha. I can by pass the 12v trigger with a flip of a switch so power up to the Amp is not a problem.
Obviously their is absolutly no tone controls and only the variable volume control on the player which works excellent with a lot of control, meaning slow rise and long. Works excellent when using it to match output levels compared to TV, Tuner, VHS, DVD, ect.

Is there anything I should look for?
Do you see any problems in this set up for 2-channel running of my new set of DIY full rangers?

I do have a the matching Pre for the Amp but looking for the shortest signal path. The pre dose not have "true pass thru" so this is how/why the idea and questions have come about.

Straighten me out if you see potential disaster! :angry:

Thanx
Geoff

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
If the Yamaha has a variable output that will allow the volume to be completely turned down, then it should work fine.

Of course, if we're talking purist, then I should point out that, in reviews I've read over the last 10 or 15 years, the variable ouputs in CD players have been nearly universally panned when compared to the fixed outputs. The "opinion" of these reviews was that the extra circuitry used to control the volume was detrimental to the signal.

My opinion is to try it (if the control issue is ok.) Your ears are THE true test.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Chuck

Thank you for taking time to reply to my mess!

Yes the back of the Yamaha has both fixed and variable outputs, but as you say (the control itself) never even gave that a thought! Dah

Yes it has a wide range and dose completly shut the output down with no spike or pop when introducing or de-introducing the variable signal to & from the players outputs.

Guess, I will have to just just try both the Pre & Player, the Player straight in to see what seems to sound best.
My biggest concern was if I was missing something and b-zzzzzzz ka-poof, :angry:
but the noise in the circuit for the players volume control
*I total missed*....

The Head and Pre I am/was speaking of are Vintage SAE. Also have a SAE CD-player but the Yammi sounds better to me to this point, but they both do have CD volume control on both players, though I've always run direct via full volume pass thru preouts on both of them.

Again thanks for the reply Chuck
Geoff

Modds
Thank you for fixing thread header...:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks