What's new

CD Changer advice, I think mine is about to bite the dust. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, no problem. Glad to help. Let us know if the digital output on your '4802 works out.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
I just bought the 400. I couldnt bring myself to spend the extra dough on the 450 just for a 2 way remote(which seemed very slow to get the titles diplayed on the remote) & the video out. I am very pleased with the 400, though.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Got a deal on a 333es from a real first class authorized dealer shipped for $499.99!
I should get the beast on Thus.
Right now I'm starting to add bracing to my stereo shelf to hold the new 3802 and 333. Also, I'm pulling 4 more wires for 7 channel. What a mess, especially the blood from my wife hitting me.:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earl, congratulations on your purchase. Hope the 'C333ES works out for you. That is, if you are alive to use it by the time it arrives. ;) Seriously though, do post your thoughts once you have had the chance to put the 'C333ES through its paces.
What are you using now for a CD player?

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
The Sony CDP-CX400 is working out great....would recommend it to anyone. My wife is happpy about all the space she regained since the Jewel cases are gone:D Now here's a question...What are you usng for the liner notes ? I went looking at Stapels for a nice Binder with clear sleeves and did not find anything acceptable. Any thoughts or personal expoerences ?
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Clarification! There are 3 as in three different 333's.
I bought the mega changer=CDP-M333ES. Not the rvr 333 or the single disk player. I just called 6th ave to verify they sent the right one. They did! They listened the first time.:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earl, I thought you were able to track down a Sony SCD-C333ES five-disc stereo SACD/CD changer. It was discontinued some months ago and is very tough to find brand new now. When dealers were closing it out a few months ago, it was available for $500, so I thought you found one.

I hope you enjoy the 'M333ES. I have two of its predecessor, the CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachanger, daisy-chained. The 'CX333ES has served me very well. The 'CX333ES provides an excellent combination of convenience and sound quality for the money. I am quite sure that the 'M333ES is very similar in that regard.

Sony has a way of using the same model numbers over and over again. Here are Sony components I can think of off the top of my head with '333' in the model number:

STR-DA333ES A/V receiver

STR-V333ES A/V receiver

SCD-C333ES stereo SACD changer

CDP-CX333ES 300-disc CD megachanger

CDP-M333ES 400-disc CD megachanger

MDS-JA333ES MD deck

SCD-XA333ES single-disc multi-channel SACD player (Europe)

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have both the Sony CDP-CX300 and a Sony CDP-CX450, daisychained. Artist labeling and on the 450 along with download information from the 300 to the 450 (a bit of a pain, but, worth it in the end). I just can't do without these 2 puppies!!! Both purchased from J&R Music (the 450 as late as last August).:D

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
333es update:
OK/The beast is loaded and running. 350 disks is a real chore to say the least. I mailed my coupon for the keyboard and plugged up my changer to the UPS. It works perfect straight from the box.
6th ave is doing a great job selling and shipping stuff. My Theatre rack is reinforced and looks good with all the extra cd changers gone.
I will give an update when the keyboard gets here to see how complicated that is. I can see two of these for a 800 library.:D :D
It doesn't feel as heavy as I thought it would, so I guess the cx400 must be pretty light.
There is no competion in this price range for Sony. Kenwood is very high and hard to find. I will keep you guys posted. It seems I can hear defects in the cd's more with the Denon 3802 and the new 333es??????:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earl, I actually doubt that there is a significant difference in weight between the 'CX400 and 'M333ES. I don't recall there being a significant difference in weight between my 'CX333ES and the 'CX300 or 'CX335. Although megachangers are large, there is a lot of empty space.

Glad to hear you are happy with the 'M333ES. Refresh my memory (assuming you mentioned it before), but what players were you using before?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
PIONEER F 100 and a Kenwood cd323. I noticed on the Sony site they listed it as weighing 5 pounds more. I really don't think so either.

So what is different in the build between the two?

Also the warranty in the box said 1 year, but its 5 years !!! Right!!!

The pictures on the site show that the face is almost identical!

The manual , as usual for Sony, does a less than minimum job in the specifications list.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earl, I would be surprised if the 'M333ES weighs five pounds more than the 'CX400. Maybe, but I doubt it. Anyway, the 'M333ES has a thicker chassis than the 'CX400. The 'M333ES also has a thicker front panel as I recall. Note the "dip" at the top of the front panel on the 'M333ES, which is common on ES components. The 'CX400 (and 'CX450) does not have this dip. Also, the ES megachangers have gold-plated RCA inputs and outputs, unlike the non-ES models. Otherwise, the build quality is similar. I suppose the ES models could have a larger power supply, but I'm not sure about that. If so, that could contribute significantly to a difference in weight between the ES and non-ES megachangers.

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
No coax on the Pioneers either --- the 1009 does have title input capabilities, just not keyboard/mouse input

I have two 1007s daisied and the only problem I've seen is the memory dump -- happened quite weird too, the slave-unit dumped but the master unit was dislaying the slaves info, and then the master dumped (I'm not worried about it as my typical listening post has the system out of veiw anyway --- OSD would be nice)

I've acquired a DV-F727 (301 DVD changer) for under $500 at a B&M store

Edit: BTW, for info on the Pioneer units click on 'Pioneer" in my sig

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
The site says it has 8 da converters????

cx400

Key Features:

8 Group Files

Disc Memo for up to 800 discs

Memo Scan and Memo Search

artist name search

CD Text

Delete Bank

twin front-panel jog dials for disc/track selection

input for a (PS/2-compatible) PC keyboard

32-track programming

32-track "Hit List"

remote control with direct disc/track access

random/repeat play

1-bit Hybrid Pulse D/A converter

Advanced Mega Control with No-Delay and X-Fade play

Sony Control A1-II

optical digital output

signal-to-noise ratio 108 dB

17"W x 7-1/2"H x 21-1/4"D

warranty: 1 year

Keyboard input: There is a PS-2 (also called IBM type) input on the front panel of the player for a keyboard. If you want to use an AT type keyboard you will need to purchase a keyboard input adapter. Using a keyboard will make naming discs much faster.

Advanced Mega Control:

You can control a second Sony CD changer with this unit if it:

(1) Has a control A1 (or Control A1II) Jack and

(2) The command mode of the unit can be set to CD3

The 2nd Unit's RCA outputs are connected to the RCA inputs of this unit (marked 2ND CD) and the control 1 jack is connected between both units. When the CD players are connected in this way you can load the Disc Memos of the second CD player to this unit's memory if the second player has Disc Memo. You can label the discs of the second player using this unit or change the discs memos which you load from the second player. When you do this you are using this player's memory, so you can not display them on the second CD player display. A total of up to 800 Disc Memos of up to 20 characters each may be loaded. The controls of both units will function. When you press the play button on either unit the operating player stops and the resting player starts.

You can also use:

No-Delay Play: Play changes from player to player after each track. The player starts play without a break in sound immediately after the current player ends play (skips lead-in portion and starts playing from where sound actually begins)

X-Fade Play: Play changes from player to player after each track OR at a specified interval of 30, 60 or 90 seconds. When players change the sound output of both players is mixed, with one player fading out and the other fading in

Custom files: The player stores four types of custom file information for each disc:

Disc Name: Label discs with names up to 20 characters

Delete Bank: Deletes unwanted tracks from CDs

Group file: Group discs in up to eight groups. Each disc can only be in one group. Group files can be used in continuous, shuffle or repeat play. Each group can be given a group memo of up to 13 characters.

Artist File: Classify discs according to an artist name.

Custom files are stored in the player's memory. If the player is not used for about one month you will lose custom file information. Custom files can be erased one at a time or all at once. CD-Text information can not be replaced by a Disc memo file. Deleted tracks are skipped even in Shuffle play and program mode. All deleted tracks can be recovered simultaneously.

Programs: You can create up to three programs each of which can contain up to 32 steps (track or entire disc).

CD Text: When playing a CD with CD Text the display will show you the current disc title, artist name and track title if it is recorded on the CD. A CD-Text indicator lights up on the display whenever the player detects a CD with CD-Text information. If the CD Text information is available in various languages, you can select the language that the information is displayed in.

Jog dial: There is a jog dial on the unit for quick selection of discs and a second jog dial on the unit for track selection.

Last disc memory: When the player is turned off it will remember the last playing disc and the play mode. When the unit is turned on again it plays the same disc in the same mode.

Control A1II jack: There is a control input for synchronized recording and auto function when used with compatible Sony components. Although this player can control a Sony CD Player with ControlA1, this unit cannot be correctly operated by a Sony CD player with Control A1. This unit can be controlled only by another unit with Control A1II. If you are using a ControlA1 CD player as a second player, this Unit should always be used as the Master.

Name Scan: Allows you to quickly locate a disc by scanning disc names on the unit's display.

Name Search: You can search for a disc by inputting the first character used in the Disc Name.

Easy Play: By pressing the Easy Play button on the player the rotary tray will automatically move to the slot 1 position for easy insertion of a single disc. If the Easy Play button is pressed again it will start playing the disc in slot 1.

Disc skip: The player has a +100 disc key which allows you to skip 100 discs at a time for easier access when using the Jog Dial for disc selection.

Timer: The player is compatible with an optional external audio timer.

Hit list: This will allow you to store up to 32 tracks which can be selected immediately. You can label the 32 tracks in your Hit List with up to 13 characters. CD Text CD tracks in the Hit List are stored automatically when placed in the Hit List.

Inputs and Outputs

Front panel:

Keyboard: PS-2 (also called IBM type) input. Note: If you want to use an AT type keyboard you will need to purchase a keyboard input adapter.

Rear panel:

Digital: Toslink Digital Output (with plastic cover)

Analog: RCA fixed stereo output

Control A1II: Two Control A1II jacks for use with compatible Sony components

2nd CD: Stereo RCA input allows you to connect 2nd compatible CD changer

333es

Keyboard input: There is a PS-2 (also called IBM type) input on the front panel of the player for a keyboard. If you want to use an AT type keyboard you will need to purchase a keyboard input adapter. Using a keyboard will make naming discs much faster.

Variable Coefficient Digital Filter (Adjustable): Allows you to select one of three settings, Standard, 1 (Clear) or 2 (Plain) from the front panel of the unit. The filter settings subtly change the tone of the sound, allowing you to match its output to the characteristics of your system or speakers.

Current Pulse D/A Converters: 8 pulse (1-bit) digital to analog converters are fed by a highly consistent current pulse source which maintains accuracy despite fluctuations in power supply voltage. The audible result is bass reproduction that is more accurate and expressive than with most other systems. This type of D/A converter also minimizes zero-cross distortion for smoother sound.

Full Feed Forward Digital Filter: This filter will remove noise created by oversampling by feeding a noise opposing signal (out-of-phase signal) to each successive stage of sampling. The result is a reduction in requantizing noise across the audio band. This allows you to hear greater low level spatial detail and ambiance.

CD Compatibility: This unit will play prerecorded CDs, finalized CD-R discs and finalized CD-RW discs.

Advanced Mega Control for up to 800 CDs:

Requirements for Mega Control Operation: You can control a second Sony CD changer with this unit if both of the following requirements are fulfilled:

the second changer has a control A1 (or Control A1II) jack

the command mode of the second unit can be set to "CD3"

Mega Control Connections: The second unit's RCA outputs need to be connected to the RCA inputs (marked 2ND CD) of this unit, and the Control A1II jack of this unit must be connected to the Control A1II/A1 jack of the second unit.

Disc Name Entry: When the CD players are connected as detailed above and the second player has the Disc Memo feature, you can load the Disc Memos of the second CD player to this unit's memory. You can label the discs of the second player using this unit or change the discs memos which you load from the second player. When you do this, you are using this player's memory, so you cannot display them on the second CD player's display. A total of up to 800 Disc Memos, with up to 20 characters each, may be loaded.

Controls: The controls of both units will function. When you press the play button on either unit the operating player stops and the resting player starts.

No-Delay Play: Play changes from player to player after each track. The player starts play without a break in sound immediately after the current player ends play (skips lead-in portion and starts playing from where sound actually begins).

X-Fade Play: Play changes from player to player after each track OR at a specified interval of 30, 60 or 90 seconds. When players change the sound output of both players is mixed, with one player fading out and the other fading in.

Custom Files: The player can store four types of custom file information for each disc. Custom files can be erased one at a time or all at once. Custom files are stored in the player's memory; if the player is not used for about one month, custom file information will be erased. The following files are available:

Disc Name: Label discs with names up to 20 characters. CD-Text information can not be replaced by a Disc Memo.

Delete Bank: Deletes unwanted tracks from CDs. Deleted tracks are skipped even in Shuffle play and program mode. All deleted tracks can be recovered simultaneously.

Group file: Group discs in up to eight groups. Each disc can only be in one group. Group files can be used in continuous, shuffle or repeat play. Each group can be given a group name of up to 13 characters.

Artist File: Classify discs according to an artist name.

Programs: You can create up to three programs; each program can contain up to 32 steps (track or entire disc).

CD Text: When playing a CD with CD Text, the display will show you the current disc title, artist name and track title if it is recorded on the CD. A CD-Text indicator lights up on the display whenever the player detects a CD with CD-Text information. If the CD Text information is available in multiple languages, you can select the language that will be displayed for CD Text information.

Jog Dials: There is one jog dial on the unit for quick selection of discs, and there is a second jog dial on the unit for track selection.

Last Disc Memory: When the player is turned off it will remember the last playing disc and the play mode. When the unit is turned on again it plays the same disc in the same mode.

Control A1II jack: There is a control input for synchronized recording and auto function when used with compatible Sony components. Although this player can control a Sony CD Player with ControlA1, this unit cannot be correctly operated by a Sony CD player with Control A1. This unit can be controlled only by another unit with Control A1II. If you are using a Control A1 CD player as a second player, this unit should always be used as the Master.

Name Scan: Allows you to quickly locate a disc by scanning disc names on the unit's display.

Name Search: You can search for a disc by inputting the first character used in the Disc Name.

Easy Play: By pressing the Easy Play button on the player, the rotary tray will automatically move to the slot 1 position for easy insertion of a single disc. If the Easy Play button is pressed again it will start playing the disc in slot 1.

+100 Disc Skip: The player has a +100 disc key which allows you to skip 100 discs at a time for easier access when using the Jog Dial for disc selection.

Timer Compatible: The player is compatible with optional external audio timers.

Hit list: This feature allows you to store up to 32 tracks which can be selected immediately. You can label the 32 tracks in your Hit List with up to 20 characters. CD Text CD tracks in the Hit List are stored automatically when placed in the Hit List.

Inputs and Outputs

Front panel:

Keyboard: PS-2 (also called IBM type) input.

Note: If you want to use an AT type keyboard, you will need to purchase a keyboard input adapter.

Rear panel:

Digital: Toslink Digital Output (with plastic cover)

Analog: RCA fixed stereo output

Control A1II: Two Control A1II jacks for use with compatible Sony components

2nd CD: Stereo RCA input allows you to connect 2nd compatible CD changer

Warranty Note

Warranty: Some units may be incorrectly packed with a 1 year warranty card. The correct warranty for this unit is 5 years parts and labor.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earl, the ES models certainly have a better DAC system. I always tell people to get an ES model if they are at all interested in daisy-chaining two players together because doing so requires use of the analog outputs. The Current Pulse DAC was one of the main reasons I chose the 'CX333ES over non-ES megachangers back in 2000.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Extra! Extra! Dumb question coming up! Are you ready????
Analog! Are you talking about the RCA outputs????
If so, I prefer the optical/toslink.
???????????????????:Confused: :confused:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Earl, RCA outputs are analog outputs. That is, I am talking about the red and white outputs on the back panel of your 'M333ES. Have you tried the analog outputs on the 'M333ES, thereby using its DAC, and then compared the sound to what you observe with an optical digital cable, where you are using the receiver's DAC? Let me say again that if you ever want to add a second megachanger to daisy-chain with your 'M333ES, you will have to use the analog outputs on both players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks