What's new

CD Changer advice, I think mine is about to bite the dust. (1 Viewer)

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Next question Keith! Before I check this out will it be better/worse/the same/or who knows? Will the optical always be better than the RCA jacks, or does the DAC do something to make the whole process better?
I thought, but probably am wrong, that optical was always better. :confused:

Chip E

Screenwriter
Earl,
I'm not Keith but, i'll chime in if you don't mind...
It depends on the DAC's in your receiver(among other parts in the transport- Help Keith, lol ). Are the DAC's in your receiver better or worse than the DAC's in the mega changer? BTW, i own an M-333ES mega changer, used it briefly, it's been boxed up almost since i've owned it. I prefer using my SCD-C555ES 5 disc CD/SACD changer. The DAC's in the 555ES i use are equal too or better to my ears than the DAC's in my B&K 307... and that's say'n a lot! :) I go analog out to the 307. Ya gotta listen and see for yourself. One is NOT always better than the other.. ie: optical,coax or analog out.
Keith,
I just compared my RP-91 playing a CD to it being played in the 555ES.. lol! need i say more.. total mudd a lack of definition on the RP-91.(and that was digital out to the B&K!) Real bliss going analog out from the 555ES.. Me so happy :D
I'm glad i didn't buy the RP-91 for music( i mean Redbook playback) ;) Haven't tried DVD-A yet... soon.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, are you going to sell the 'M333ES? Sounds like you don't need it. Then again, who am I to talk about not needing CD players. ;)
I would not expect the 'RP91 to compete with the 'C555ES with CDs. For one thing, the 'RP91 is a DVD player, and like many others, I have found that DVD players don't make the grade as CD players in comparison to similarly priced audio-only components. Also, Sony simply has done a great job with its ES SACD players. They are all quality redbook CD players. Finally, I have the Technics DVD-A10, which is Matsushita's predecessor to the 'RP91, and have found the 'A10 to be a lackluster CD player. It's not the worst I have ever heard, but it's nothing to write home about either. I can't remember the last time I played a CD on the 'A10.
Do yourself a favor and pick up some DVD-Audio discs this weekend. I highly recommend Eagles Hotel California, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and Steely Dan Two Against Nature. Give them a listen in stereo. These discs sound wonderful.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Chip, are you going to sell the 'M333ES? Sounds like you don't need it. Then again, who am I to talk about needing or not needing CD players."
Keith, you want it? 3 bills it's yours pal.. Hell, your close enough to pick it up at my house if you want it.
"I would not expect the 'RP91 to compete with the 'C555ES with CDs."
Me neither.. lol hadda try it though. :D
"Do yourself a favor and pick up some DVD-Audio discs this weekend. I highly recommend Eagles Hotel California, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and Steely Dan Two Against Nature. Give them a listen in stereo. These discs sound wonderful."
I'll be skiing this weekend but, i will pick up the ones you reccommended soon..thanks!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, thanks for the offer on the 'M333ES, but I don't need it right now. I am quite happy with the two 'CX333ES 300-disc units daisy-chained. Thanks again though.
By the way, you said I could have the 'M333ES for three bills? Any bills in particular? I think I could scrounge up three singles here. Let me look around. ;)
When I got the 'A10, I already had the '777ES, but like you, I had to try the 'A10 with CDs. As I said, it's not the worst CD player I have ever heard, but it is lacking. Of course, that's not what I bought the 'A10 for. Heck, I didn't even buy the 'A10 to play DVD movies. I bought it strictly for DVD-Audio.
If you do pick up the Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, and Eagles DVD-Audio discs, do post your thoughts in the Music Area.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Chip !!!! I may be interested in your unit, but there is a definite distance problem. I live near Ft Walton Beach, but go on short vacations to Disney World from time to time. Raised in Florida and lived everywhere in the military.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks