What's new

Casual lisening differences between sperates (1 Viewer)

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone,

First let me just say I stumbled across this board a couple of weeks ago. Wow, I'm very immpressed. There are a lot of knowledgeable people out there, with some great advice.

I'm in the market for a new reciever. I'm planning on spending between 1,000 to 1,500. However, I want something that I'll own for a while. Minimum 10 years hopefully closer to 15.

I'm debating about getting seperate pre/processor and amp. I know I would need to spend at least an extra $2,000, which would delay the purchase a couple months.

Most of my listening is casual and low volume so I don't know if it is really worth it for me. Even with my current set-up I know I could get better sound just by moving the speakers around. However, due to room layout, furniture layout, girlfriend etc that is not possible.

So I think the pre/pro amp would be a waste.
I think the money would be better spent on speakers. Or would there be a major difference? What do you all think?

Thanks

Tom

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Tommy,

Welcome to the forum.

In the $1000 - $1500 range for a receiver you have a lot of options. Some to consider: Onkyo 898 or 797, Denon 3802, Marantz 7200.

As for separates... I just bought a Parasound amp and I using my receiver as a pre/pro and the difference is stunning. I can't wait to but a pre/pro. Not going back. If you can wait a month or so, I think it will be worth it.

I'm sure some of the other members can reccomend a pre/pro amp combo that won't break the bank.

Good luck

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick response.
I'm looking at the Onkyo and I'm probably going to wait for the Denon 3803 (I spoke wiht Denon. Nothing is official but it is probably coming out in the next 2-3 months)
Vlad - What your are doing is what I'm thinking about. Buying a receiver now and then in the future I could add an amp. Although the way technology changes I'd probably need a new pre/pro before I need a new amp. (anyone want to guess how many speakers we'll need in another decade, 10-15 :D )
How would you describe the difference?
Thanks

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You may also wish to look at the new Rotel receiver that will be out any day at about $1,300 list. The nice thing about it is that you can assign the amp. It comes with 5 and if you decide a few years down the road you want to do 6.1 or 7.1 you can get an outboard amp and you will have something fairly close to separates since the outboard amp can be use to power the left and right which would demand more power than the rears. As Vlad indicated there is quite a difference using an outboard amp where you are not sharing power supplies. Rotel receivers by themselves are quite good on movies and music and can come decently close to entry level separates in their own right. Also around this time of the year Rotel typically has specials to close-out models. For example, a couple of years ago one could get a $1k preamp and a $1k amp for $1.5k total. So it may be possible to get their separate amp and preamp (which lists for more) in the $2k range. You could also look at Outlaw stuff.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Those are all good ideas but as I read your post Tommy, you seem all over the place. To me, if you can do nothing with your room and you recognize that there are serious limitations and enormous lack of flexibility, then I'm very unclear what is it that you'd achieve. In a situation like that, which in time i'm sure will change, I'd sock the money away and spring for a nice set of headphones.

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Tommy. I agree with Chu on this one. I wouldn't spend that much money on audio equipment if you already know that your room space and layout is not going to support your systems ability to maximize it's sonic capabilities. Add in the fact that your girlfriend may not be cooperative in letting you adjust the room to support a properly arranged audio system and the only question left for you is why spend money at all on expensive gear if you're not going to be able to take advantage of it by providing a properly setup room?

Maybe a sub-sat system might work best for you. They do make some descent ones nowadays.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
not a bad idea Martice when dealing with difficult placement issues. A very personal decision though. Of course you could always try and reason with your significant other, telling her how you don't tell her what makeup to buy and all that. but if its her place i'd say your SOL :)

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again. I'm tending to agree with Chu Gai and Martice. The room acoustics are not bad, I've heard a lot worse, but I still don't think I would get the full benefit.

For example my listening position is much closer to one side of the room. So I sit 3-4 ft closer to one side of my surround speakers. Unfortunately it is not feasible to rearrange the furniture.

Little things like that.

Thanks again.

Tom

Martice

Screenwriter
Tommy do you have floor standing speakers? If so, you may have to go with bookshelf speakers or even satellite speakers. Depending how 'off' your seating position actually is, you may actually benefit more by having wall mountable speakers that allow you to place them where they should be regardless of furniture placement. It is cases like this when you may actually upgrade your listening experience by downgrading your speaker size.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
For example my listening position is much closer to one side of the room. So I sit 3-4 ft closer to one side of my surround speakers. Unfortunately it is not feasible to rearrange the furniture.
Couldn't you just set up an SPL meter at your listening position and calibrate the speaker levels with Video Essentials or Avia?

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
I have floor standing speakers and I'm going to upgrade them with more floor standing speakers. The front speakers are actually in a good position.

Marvin - Good call. My current reciever a Denon AVR 1200 doesn't yet you do that. I don't know why I didn't think of it especially since I have an SPL meter. Also where do you shop? I used to live in Wappingers Falls, I'm now down in Rockland so I know the area.

Thanks

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Tommy,
About all we have up here nowadays are Circuit City and Best Buy. So I've bought most of my audio stuff online.
I guess there's a Nobody-beats-the-wiz around your neck of the woods. Are they like Circuit City?

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
The Wiz is very similar to C.C. I think C.C. has slightly better quality.
Wow Circuit City and quality in the same sentence. :)
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks