What's new

Car subs in the house (1 Viewer)

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering how a high excursion car subwoofer would compare to a home one? I've built a couple home subs for my house form car subwoofers and they sound pretty good, but ive never built any using an HT driver. I used to have a JL Audio 15w3 in a 5 cubic foot ported box with about 250 watts running to it, and it was very tight and clean, and it made me worry for my windows. m currently using an Infinity perfect 10 with the same amp. Not nearly as much output, but with its excursion and aluminum cone its really accurate and has nice deep extension.

My question is would it be worth it to get rid of it and get an HTdriver (Tempest or Shiva). I guess you would have to hear both to make the call, but ive never heard either one of these two drivers for myself.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Not sure either at this point but will know the answer soon. I'm currently running an MB Acoustics car sub in an AudioSource box. Doesn't go super low, but has a LOT of output and will shake the room pretty good.

Almost done with a dual Tempest sonosub, so in a week or two I'll be able to provide some feedback on the difference.

I'm sure the Tempests will go lower, and also should have more SPL as I'm going from a single 12" to dual 15"s.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
i had a 10w3 in a sealed box for some time before my upgrade to a pair of real woofs.

i thought it was all that. actually i had an orion hcca 10, and a another 10 (think it was a kicker) before that.

granted the tempests im using should be louder due to their size, but that only tells a small part of the story, the depth and definition you get with the better drivers is really astounding.

wanna guess where im buying drivers from next time i build a system in a car? the adire stuff really is all its cracked up to be.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I run a pair of JL 8w6 in my music room (2-channel setup) and have a few friends using car subs as well (Pioneer premier and a JL 15w6 both kicks ass). What it really comes down to is how well it's designed, power given, and how much it suffers from room mode. A quality driver is a quality driver (I also own a pair of Tempests and Shivaes sonosubs in my main theater room) and if designed properly will be hard compare other than size (due to design by driver spec) and cost (Tempest is imho the best bang for the buck 15" and Blueprint 1201 for 12").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks