What's new

Car stereo for my upcoming AMG! (1 Viewer)

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Hey guys, i figure this is the best place to ask this question. im getting a 2003 c32 amg, it dont come with a cd player, and im pretty well a basket case audiophile, so i need to upgrade. this is what i have in mind.

Eclipse, Pioneer premier, alpine, or nakamichi head unit.
mcintosh amp 6ch.
mb quart q series speakers
and the new JL audio w3 series 12".

What do you think of the cd player choice?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Why the JL?
I'd nix the JL and go with something along the lines of an image dynamics. But that's just me.

Like the nakamichi HU's, the nice plane design might fit in better with the AMG dash.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
You might want to consider the dash too, what color are the lights and stuff. Does it have an external amp like the BMW's. Alpine makes some of the radios for BMW, don't know what MB uses but I know alot of the BMW folks get Blaupunks/Alpines because they make orange/redish radios so that they blend in with the car's lights.

Also, the stock radio on the BMW is actually quite decent, at least mine is although I have older E36 from 1997, the amplifier in the trunk is crap. The E36's also have two antennas which most aftermarket radios can't handle so you'd have to basically ditch the secondary antenna when not using the original one.

I'd look into this before I go switching head units though.

Jay

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Why Image Dynamics over JL audio? JL is arguably the auto sub speaker of choice, and has probably won more awards than most any other speaker. However, I would go with a JL 6 series over the three especially since you will be driving a AMG. ;)

Steve Adams

Second Unit
have you seen the new .2 and W7 series subs. they are all new. im taking the W3 because it's lighter, because i have an amg! Im trying to keep it as light as possible. im making a fiberglass box to reduce weight as well.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
JL Audio is good but better than Image Dynamics? No way. As for speakers check out Focal and Dynaudio before you go MB Quart. All are great bands but Focal and DA are higher end imo. If you are willing to afford it Rainbow is probably the best you can get.

Pretty!! German speakers for a German car, why not? :) Link

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Scott L. quote:

JL Audio is good but better than Image Dynamics? No way.
--------------------------
So Image Dynamics is better than JL Audio?

--------------------------
I wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why Image Dynamics over JL audio? JL is arguably the auto sub speaker of choice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phillip G. quote:

arguably thanks to an outstanding marketing department and little technical development in nearly 10 years.
-----------------------------

Phillip, you are seemingly trying to characterize JL Audio as the BOSE of Car Audio. Yeah, JL audio's marketing dept not their speakers won all of those audio sound off contest. The unenlightened might be fooled, however, those in the know, know better.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
As for speakers check out Focal and Dynaudio before you go MB Quart. All are great bands but Focal and DA are higher end imo
I'd have to agree, mb is ok, but a little overpriced I think for what you get, the focal stuff is just awesome.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
You imply in your statement that JL Audio is underserving of their accolades. Sorry but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

This isn't a high-payroll pro sports team we're talking about here. Personally, I'm running the Alpine Type-R Subs but JL makes decent subs and have won quite a few awards for their subs as well as their subs winning quite a few soundoffs. Say what you will about "higher end" subs, but in the end numbers are numbers and in the dB drag world, those numbers are all that count.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
ok, enough of the sub and speaker thing, what about the head units? im sorta narrowed down to alpine and eclipse. what do you think of these two.?

Anny Chien

Agent
Rainbow audio components are one of the best components I've heard as well as arc audio amps. I love both the JL audio w7 and the idmax, but like the w7 a little more.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I'd say get the McIntosh head unit except for their insane decision not to have fast forward and rewind (just track access.) I can see wanting a clean short signal path, but come on! That's essential basic functionality. Naks are the next best thing from what I've heard.

Speakers: Morel, Dynaudio, Vifa, Focal, etc.

Definitely McIntosh amps.

Audioquest or equivalent wire

Dual layer Dynamat sound deadening in the doors and trunk (6db possibility)

I'd look into those speaker pods for the footwells... probably the best imaging possibility.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
2003 c32 amg, it dont come with a cd player
WHAT?!
That's very hard to believe, and even if it is, it certainly could of been an option.
Judging by your choice of the vehicle I'd recommend sticking exclusively to OEM stuff. I know I would, as at my point in life I realized that adding 'audiophile' aftermarket components to a car is rather silly ;) Even from a resale value perspective.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Steve, since your in Canada, I would HIGHLY recommend going with AVI speakers and subs. Their stuff has been regarded better than focal, and in my mind is too. I've heard a few of their speakers as well as subs, and they are nothing short of amazing. Too expensive for me, so I went with Eclipse everything in my system. But do give AVI a look over, they are based out here in BC, check out their website

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If you're still checking out headunits you can't really go wrong with Alpine. If you did your research (which I'm assuming you did as it's one of your top 2 :)) you'd find that more and more car audio geeks are recommending them. Just about every discussion I've seen debating between an Eclipse and Alpine HU in similar price ranges has much more votes for the Alpine.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
Alpine head units are very intuitive, easy to use, easy to navigate with, and damn, they just look plain cool! :)
And they don't sound half bad either. ;)
Scott.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
The cd player is an option, but a 2000 dollar trunk mount, so i figure i can peice together a damn good system for that or a little more. i will have a look at the avi's also the pods are useless for newfoundland. to much slush, rain and snow for those. im figuring alpine as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks