What's new

DBX DS series gear (1 Viewer)

Eric D Wong

Stunt Coordinator
...I just got some dbx ds series gear from an estate auction. Ive read all about this 80's stuff but never had any although some people called it junk, but I just had to try it. Anyhow, none of this stuff had manuals so I'm playing around in the dark with it. I tried to read up as much as I could on them before I bought them, but now that I actually have them in my possession I have lots of questions and stuff for discussion.

One piece, the 3bx-DS this was the piece I was mainly interested in. I think the DS is the last of this series and also includes the "impact restoration" which isnt featured on the other units.

I have 2 very different systems. one is my accurate and not-so loud mid hi-fi audiophile system, its got Magnepan MG3A speakers, Van Alstine preamp, AudioControl Richter Scale III crossover and a Adcom amps.

My other system is my DJ/PA system with mostly pro audio gear. Pioneer DJ CD players, Stanton SMX501 mixer, EV G115 tops driven by an older AB international amp and EV SB180 subs driven by a Crown MA5000VZ thru a XR2001 Ashly x-over. No turntables yet but I figured if this was made for tuntables then it would be awesome on my Dj system.

I bought this unit mainly to give some kick to compressed recordings and additional slam particularly on the DJ system. Does anybody know what the "pre" and "post" buttons do?

Also included I have the 120x-DS subharmonic synthesizer. It sure seems to work pretty good on club music for adding huge slam. After hooking it up it has more of an effect on the home stereo then the DJ system. Probably cause the DJ system's subharmonics arent that great. Also my DJ mixer has an effects loop, but it is the send/return style, I dont think it is "insert" style, which is what these units really need. Im gonna do some playing around to see if I can modify that effects loop to become an "insert" loop instead.

I also have 2 other units, the 400xg selector and the 224x-DS noise reducer. I might be able to use the 400XG as it seems like its very versitile but the noise reducer I dont think I have any use for.

Sooo..... does anybody have any manuals at all for these or tell me more about using them?

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I vaguely recall that there were DBX encoded or processed vinyl discs that were made to go with the system. I knew a guy who had DBX gear and I remember he played some material that seemed to have incredible dynamic range(but this was pre CD era). I thought he also used it for noise reduction with his reel to reel(!) recorder.

Have fun with the experimenting.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

I have one dbx LP (Beyond Sound Barrier from Varese Sarabande and Technics). I recorded it onto a CD-R and it actually sounds far better than the commercially pressed CD version of the album.

dbx LP's could sound very good.

svtfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Hey I found another forum where you can download the 3bx-ds manual.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/sto...S%20Manual.pdf

If I remember right, the pre/post has to do with whether or not the sound processing is applied to the signal going through the tape loop. Normally in a playback stereo setup, you would use the line in/out so those buttons wouldn't do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks