What's new

CAR 54 (literally) WHERE ARE YOU ? (1 Viewer)

CIULLOCAMNY

Agent
Real Name
CHRIS
Does anybody have any news whether or not CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU ? will make an appearance on DVD ? One of the cable outlets in NY (The Metro Channel) had been airing them full and uncut up until about 5 years ago. When I switched from Cablevision to Directv, I lost sight of them because Directv doesn't carry Metro. Would be great to see Toody, Muldoon, Schnauser and the rest of the 53rd precinct again. Any info ?

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Well, that's exactly where I got mine from, the uncut, complete Metro run. Look great too. As for a commercial release, it's Paramount, which owns about a thousand other shows that are in the same category. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
The fact that CAR 54 is not on DVD surprises me a little, since there were some official VHS tapes released about 10 years ago by Republic Pictures. I have one of these tapes that was part of a classic TV box set issued by Republic that also had episodes from Bonanza (not PD), The Addams Family, one of The Saint TV movies, and the final two-parter of The Fugitive. This is another great show that I'd love to see again, sort of an early version of BARNEY MILLER which, apparently, did not sell well for Sony as there has never been a follow-up to the season 1 release.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Yes but that was before Republic was bought by Worldvision then by Spelling then by Viacom. If Republic was still in business today you might see it. But as part of the Paramount world I doubt it.

Real Name
David
Most other tv shows of that era I get a good chuckle out of, but Car 54 has me on the floor. Joe Ross is hilarious and that's an understatement. His eyes, his voice and the way he talks to people without even looking directly at them.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I hope CBS/Paramount gets to it one day. There are not that many episodes of this... something in its favor. They could do 2 season sets, or 4 split season sets.. It was really funny show. I remember watching it on Nick at Nite in 87/88.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I'd actually like to get the whole set in one complete box which could easily be done for a two season, half hour series. But, if not, season sets would be fine. I don't see any real reason to release a show made for a half time frame to be released in the split season format.

It is somewhat surprising, given the fact that both Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis were in this show, that CBS/Paramount couldn't piggyback off the success of Universal's later "The Munsters" with both actors.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Oh right. Then lets hope they decide to put this out. I may give in and get it from "other sources".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks