What's new

Capture device: recommendations for a PCMCIA, USB or 1394? (1 Viewer)

JasonGabler

Auditioning
I've recently purchased a new laptop to replace my desktop... the desktop on which I did all my video work. Fear not, this laptop is up to the task... except it cannot, of course, use my old Dazzle PCI card. So I'm looking for something to capture with on the laptop. I've seen PCMCIA devices like this:

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11210...o_Capture.html
http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11278..._Lap top.html

all of which I can find for about $20-$50 on eBay when all is said and done with tax and shipping.

I have not been able to find any 1394 or USB options. Also, I have found nothing which takes component video and digital audio (optical or SPDIF) input...dreamy!

If you've got something to recommend, whichever physical interface, I'd appreciate your reply. I think my only requirements are that a device can capture at least DVD quality (720x480 NTSC) and be able to put down at least 8Mb/s (If I'm recalling correctly).

thanks!

jason

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Some digital camcoraders have an input to allow you to input video though them via the Firewire port. That won't help you unless you already own a digital camcorder but many people don't know about that feature.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Please forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something, but if you've got a DV camcorder, then you just need a firewire port, you don't know something that is specifically a video capture card with a firewire port. Also, as Andrew mentioned, if you have a DV camcorder you can likely run your other video through that into the computer.

JasonGabler

Auditioning
Using my camcorder is not an option - it lacks this capability, and only can record through the lens.

I specifically want to use this for recording from sources that have no DV capability.

thanks anyhow,

jason

SethH

Senior HTF Member

That's pretty sweet. Adobe Premiere Elements is a very solid program. You can download a free trial if you want to see if you like it.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I've been using Pinnacle Studio Moviebox DV for over a year now at work and it has been working pretty well. It is also one of the few out there that allows you export in analog back to tape. Most of the analog to digital capture cards out there are only just that, capture.

I even use it to go to Beta SP for broadcast tv and have never had a complaint about quality.

It is a little more expensive but you might find one on ebay for a fraction of the price. http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applicati...849&CatId=1424

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks